WD17 The waters Beckon

Had a couple of nights detecting with the Rotorua Mob. Found my first beautiful old .925 english silvers and some other bits and wotzits that i need to clean up. Found this bit of lead about same size as a penny. Unreadable lettering around edge- any ideas on what it is? And how do i clean up lead?.

2 Likes

Wetted to bring out letters

Lead or pewter?
I’d say a button - wot’s on t’other side?

are the letters in reverse ive seen this before its lead been poured on to a coin ive no idea why

Blank on other side.
I did wonder if letters are indeed reversed and it was maybe a stamp or seal.i Found it in area with 1918 ish coins and bullet casing remains that look like british .303 but i havent cleaned up enough to id…

Too big and thin for a button.

Might just be a lead goods seal, rare find.

Going back through my old decimals i found this medallion is about the size of a 1cent peice. After a soak in oil the words ‘industrial ex??? 1901’ appeared.
‘Canterbury jubilee industrial exhibition 1901’

Google image of a mint one.

4 Likes

That’s a cool unexpected find ! Good stuff

Not a “Dandy Button”
I had something similar that was driving me mad until an ‘anorak’ in the UK gave me the answer.

Man, you’d need good eyes to pick that out of the 1’s. :spy:

Yes dandy button would match, google tells me that there is such a thing as a lead backed dandy button.
.still trying to read the lettering.
Thanks.

Great find, was the original silver plated?

Yes i think so. They are worth money if not munted.

At a popular beach for a few days.
The early morning .2m tide gave up $9.70 and the brass wotzit. $2 missing from photo as i got a drink from the coke machine outside the club on my way home.
Low water didnt expose as much sand as i was hoping for.
In the shallow water paddle crabs kept nibbling at my bare feet which put me off wading in the darkness.
Looking forward to the PM low tide.

2 Likes

Saturdays PM .2m tide. No gold.

4 Likes

Ah, the trusty Warehouse McGregor spade-ette Bet there’s more of those used for detecting than gardening. :grin:

What’s the round silver thing lower left? Remains of a spoon?

1 Like

Not sure what it is. Seems to be some sort of cap off a pipe but it is quite thin.
Will throw it in the dont know pile for now.

Hubby took one look at it and said “Freeze plug out of an engine block”. I’ll take his word for it :thinking:

Thanks i will take his word for it too