Time to Share some 'secret' spots

perhaps all the goodies came off the wreak the “elginshire” went down of Normandy. the dump was at the end of ellis road , used to go down there shooting rats.

No the goodies came fropm the tip itself. I think these photos are taken along perhaps where the road first gets to the beach. That does remind me though that it would not be impossible to spot Maori artifacts in the bank - the reason I say that is because I pulled a Maori artifact out of the bank along toward Jacks Point about 1974.
I liked seeing the photos - thanks for putting them on.

were you a bogan to KK, if Gore is bogan south, Timaru is bogan central.

Dont you mean KKK - as for Gore - I shall say no more.

bogan not to sure but I did drive a 1947 v8.
I do remember the Caledonian sporting grounds very popular place to take the girls for a spot of car roof gazing.
you that live in timaru don’t mention it to your mother that I’m on this site. you never know who might know me.

bogan …yes I think so

Keith did you say a V8 Keith - here is what was my pride and joy - by this time it was in its death throes - I sold it to a bloke to restore and apparently it has been restored - now I want to repossess it!

2 Likes

almost brought one of those from lang and laycock car dealers in timaru. 1955???

1956 and at the time there were only two cars available new - one was this one and one was a 6 cylinder Vanguard - I ended up with both of them! Just coincidence. My father in law got the Vanguard and the farmer over the road got the Ford so thats how I got them both.
The old girl above was the only 4 cylinder 2 Stroke V8 in New Zealand - the 8 cylinders all seemed to have turns firing but in such a way that it seemed like it only went on four cylinders and it used so much oil that it HAD to be a 2 stroke. The last thirty mile run I did used 2 gallons of oil - I kid you not! You could watch the road going by through the rust holes in the floor boards. The good thing about it was the fact that it had a low mileage - about 79,000 miles when I sold her. Still got spare gear boxes and parts for her!

2 Likes

Tomorrows photo tonight. The next one will show more but my guess is that someone will pick it from this photo.The location where the ring was lost all those years ago I may or may not indicate depending on whether the thread runs the course I would like it to or not.

I think you’d have to be very familiar with the area to pick it from that image! I’m leaning towards old racecourse looking at the scale of things…kurow? waimate?

No not Waimate racecourse. I did it over back about the same time that I did the spot above and it was another extremely rich silver spinner BUT because I am from Waimate I did it over several times until it was not worth going back.

I must admit that I have never been to the Kurow race course but had thought about it once or twice in the dim distant past.

One person from well out of the region has actually picket the spot above and wrote me a private message but have no fear - he is no where near though but was obviously familiar with it.

Wow he must know the area very well to pick it from a previous photo let alone this one!! My brain will need more info to try and decipher where this is.

X-TerraGold - yes he indeed must but he was a fair sport and messaged me personally to tell me. He is miles away though but had I lived near by then I would have asked the local lads to join me and gone and asked permission.

One interesting irony is that last night I was asked by a friend in Timaru if I wanted to come up for the weekend - had I known a week ago I would not have put this site on and indeed would have come but I began a game and feel that it is only fair to finish it…possibly at my cost but hey what the heck! The weekend is coming on and if the weather is anything like today then I wish I was at this place so heres next photo for anyone who wants to ask permission to go there.

permisison.

Okay, I’ve got it now, that was a difficult one.

1 Like

Good one - I love it - fly down to Dunedin after I get back from Auckland and share petrol costs and we will go have a look IF we can get permission to look there - I see no reason why not BUT you never know!

Thinking a&p grounds now…but really struggling on my crappy phone…will have to wait till im home to do some proper research and put some photos up from my hunt last nite.

1 Like

Is your phone like mine - a 125 Huawei that has a mind of its own and like me is inherently lazy and takes its time doing anything and never what you want it to do - BUT it at least gets internet and so on and my old one didnt even get that.

haha im in the same boat im struggling with this one looks good tho!!!

yup, I’m the one that got it first, and I’m a dredger, and I got it pretty well straight away by having read comments on detecting from you guys over the years. The clue was the pockets full of silvers, and there it was :-), couldnt have been the BNZ goes they to many coppers there for lammerlaw to handle". So that just leaves two sort of areas to look for race courses and …

You did well - you should have been one of those defectives that work for the Police in the CIB - but on a serious note yes it was good going.