Summer 2018 the search for spendies

spendies getting up there now…

From a local playground $4.50, a pair of usable el cheapo sunnies and a toy car. Edit - Reaslised Car is covering one of the 10c in the photo Running total $75.10

4 Likes

Do you mean the Coiltek 14x9 for CTX?

that must be it ,paul cee ytube uses one,looks deep,ive got the 17 inch coil its not that much deeper than the stock coil,

1 Like

I run XOS coils (NEL and Coiltek) on 2 different machines and have to say the claims of extra depth are, from my experience, exaggerated. Sure you get a bit extra, but you certainly won’t need to take the big shovel with you…

I look at it in terms of an increase in floor area = less swings/acre

2 Likes

According to dr tones youtube video the ctx17 gets a silver USA dime on airtest at 10.5 inches, the 14x9 10 inches and the standard ctx11 coil gets 8.5inches.

1 Like

whats the difference in price,the 17 inch is not a pleasing thing to use.

The ctx 17 is now $560 ish over the counter at one dealer but the coiltek 14x7 ctx is currently on sale from another dealer was $430 ish delivered
Been doing a bit of overtime lately so have bought the 14x9.
Hopefully it will clean up on the beach finding deep spendies so i can still get the ctx17 later.

let me know what its like in the water,i.e.does it have much resistance when swinging.

Yeap Roy there is quite a bit of resistance. I broke one of the lugs on my 17" so it’s not of much use to me now. Don’t think they can be repaired. Great on sand but you need a harness if doing any length of time swinging.
HH

Musket balls- A boatbuilder or surfboard repair dude should be able to fix a new lug on the coil with fibreglass and epoxy resin. Might look ugly but shouldn’t be too hard to come up with something functional.

1 Like

plastic welding saw a repair on ytube do it yourself have a look.

Thanks guys. Will look into.

First 1/2 hour with the 14x9 coil was inconclusive.
Its heavy.
Went to the well hunted 3p spot and was a bit salty because someone else had been there recently and left dead circles in the grass.
(Ffs its so dry numpty so go dig in the bare dirt areas)
Sticking to the bare dirt areas i got a few old 1, 2 and 10 cents-no more or less than i would usually get with the stock coil but more than what the ctx6 cool would get for the same amount of time in the same areas
Pinpointing wasn’t too bad if i turned 90 degrees to confirm position.
Found an old laser pinpointer that i must have walked over 100 times before.
Worryingly the 14x9 Didn’t really sound off on tiny bits of shredded easter egg wrapper on the surface.
Initial impression was none of the “oh wow” factor on hitting a old well hunted spot with a new detector or coil.
However can see the extra weight being very helpful in longish grass or water.
Looking forward to getting it down to a beach

1 Like

The egg wrapper might be plastic foil WD

Finally got a chance to hit a good thrashed spot with the 14x9 coil. Deep deep coins, bent coins couple of aussie pennys which was cool for the day before Anzac day and $3 spendies. The ringht hand door lock for a GM vehicle looks perfectly functional.
Pinpointer went flat then speared digging tool through my last can of kingfisher strong so it was time to call it quits but much happier with the new coil now . Running total $82.00.

4 Likes

is the 14x9 coil as heavy as the 17inch one.

Its Heavier! the 14 x9 is 935 grams and the CTX 17 is 901 grams.
Importantly the 14x9 is has negative buoyancy in water where the ctx 17 floats.
The weights not so bad, i have got used to it and adjusted my swing a bit.
Running total $84.10

1 Like

jesus thats heavy,will be ok in the water,

Finally got out for a decent night hunt. $15.70 spendies. 72 working battery tea light candles. A fidjet spinner, waterlogged bluetooth speaker. Usa 1 cent, 50 something chinese coin.
My other usual spots had crazies so after 3 scares i gave up and went home.
Getting used to the new coil and very happy with now.
Running total $101.50 .

4 Likes