SoilSurfers Stuff

Sadly you are out of luck as I thought I actually had some of the other ends and you would have been welcome to one but what I had was three of the snakes instead! I have also noted that two of the snakes are brass and one is steel so it will be a very late one AND they are all different.

As a result I had a look at my military issue belts I still wear and have found that the snakes are all the same except the cadet one which is more similar and yet not entirely the same as yours.

Until now I had never taken any notice BUT I suspect now that commercial non military snake belts could be purchased as one of the snakes I have here as my steel one, has a flimsy wire belt loop which would be ok for kids but not military use.

To summarize - your one is similar to the webbing cadets one but not like the leather Military ones…that does not mean that your is NOT military issue as it could be.

They are great belt buckles though regardless of Military or commercial.

1 Like

Had one of those as a kid in the 60’s - A rather jaunty rainbow elasticated number, back in the days when you could wear brown flares and rainbows without getting beaten up.
Well, looking back on it, those flares probably deserved getting beaten for, even then. :laughing:

1 Like

i had one too,it matched the laces on my shoes [ must have been nuts]

Back down in Timaru for work, Just finished 4 nights straight detecting! Absolutely knackered lol.

Here’s the best of the results

6 Likes

Bloody marvelarse - a great haul. Love the British sixpences especially the Queen Victoria.

This all came out of your old stomping ground Lammerlaw. The grass was the shortest I’ve seen it, Still bit lumpy though. If it was manicured like a park it would be a bonanza!

I have no doubt as it was a money spinner back in my day and yes I only scratched the surface. I did want to get back as I know more or less within feet of where the supposedly very valuable ring was lost

Scratching the surface is right as a lot of the ground has a layer of 4-8 inches of old grass. Losing a lot of depth there.

Would love an opportunity to find the ring and it would be yours of course but if I didn’t find it, it would look like I kept it so better left a mystery.

That’s a great haul of silver’s there, well done.

Cheers Cosmo your doin awesome yourself!

Out for a couple hours last nite, Found some cool bits & bobs. The large brown one is missing a piece that attached to the top. Can’t find any info on the gold gilt medallion, Any ideas on cleaning without losing the gilt? Thought it was a 5 pound gold coin at first! Both Exhibition souvenirs. And a silver cufflink?

3 Likes

Really cool finds, well done mate.

1 Like

Nice finds, I found the same exhibition medal last year missing top bar as well. Still to find silver cufflink well done.

1 Like

Cheers dude. Kinda gives it away where I was that nite, especially finding two related souvenirs lol

1 Like

Still one of the best places in town. :grinning:

Out wondering around the best place in town last night. Hard work but the shoulder pip saved the day.

3 Likes

Mate that is a pretty cool find we’ll done

Shoulder pip is great condition nice find.

Great finds…but I am quizical about the British catalogue. I should give you a list of British coins to look up for me.

Absolutely Lammerlaw fire away. I think my latest version is a couple years old by now but it’s still a good reference. I could put up a pic of the pages you want.