Public Fossicking Area Collaboration (New Creek)

Please feel free to contribute to this tread,any information you would like to share on the public fossicking area (New Creek) 5 km North West of Rotoroa. Information may include-vehicle access and parking,track locations,hazards,camping facilities,toilets,accommodation,access and/or local info contact numbers,boundary locations,how bad the sand flies are and last but not least any general locations for finding a little gold.(Or a lot who knows!)

Dont forget to upload any good photos or Youtube links too!!

The more of us who contribute the better so don’t be shy.

This could be an excellent resource for us Paydirt gold seekers!!

3 Likes

Couldn’t find much on this creek,doesn’t seen to be anything on youtube or google images…anyone?

Finally some info on New Creek(thanks Jade,keep up the good work).
Does just no one go here much or something?

3 Likes

Or it’s too good… So people aren’t saying anything about it

1 Like

im up there at the moment for 2 weeks living off possums. im setting up a ramp with a half mussel float to start moving some old tailings. we dragged the fire bath back up to its rightful place and got it working after the floods washed it downstream years ago. its bloody lush.

1 Like

ha just got 2 half floats aswell to move tailings and cobbles when dredging good idea.

be carefull if messing with historic features as some do gooder will nark and doc and HPT will throw the book at ya.

1 Like

Here is a video on our quick trip to Louis and New Creek,

New creek was not hit as hard as Louis but there were still a lot of holes around the place.

2 Likes

Anyone know if a Toyota estima van would make it to any of the new creek access tracks? (Never been there) If not I’ll just have to walk up to Louis from the bottom since I hear the road up there is quite difficult at the moment, cheers

The track as of a month ago was not super bad, but there was this 1 really dodgey bit about 1/2 way up which I would almost defintley say would need a 4 wheel drive (muddy 25CM deep clay and water). But that seemed to be really the only bit that caused any grief, if you wanted its somewhat smoothish up until there and just a bit muddy and the odd pothole after that, so you could drive up to that point and then see if you can get over, and if you thought otherwise you could probably manuver out. But that one point was pretty bad. (sorry if that was not very clear)

But hopefully that helps :smiley: and good luck on the gold!

We went up the porika road 3 weeks ago, I wouldn’t recommend it if you don’t have a 4wd with a bit of clearance. Can’t comment on Louis creek road, we’ve only walked up.
I’ve occasionally seen 2wd family cars parked up by the lower track access but personally I’d only drive up in a 4wd.

Sweet as cheers for the replys I’ll go check it out this weekend if it’s not raining, might be a bit of walking by the sound of things

The road up the Lewis Creek off Howard valley rd is closed at the moment, they are logging there 20 Sept 21
They will there for a while.
You can Walk up from the camp site at the bottom.

2 Likes

Monument road closed by locked gate. Extensive earthworks near the old camp. First camp on Loius creek still good has a dunny and a couple of permanents . Al and Joe. Sandflies are very numerous. Easy enough to find colour near the camp but have to go deep up to 2 metres to get decent flakes and small nuggets. A lot of the exposed bedrock has been scraped clean.

2 Likes