Public Fossicking Area Collaboration (Gabriels Gully)

Please feel free to contribute to this tread,any information you would like to share on the public fossicking area (Gabriels Gully) 3.9 km’s from Lawrence. Information may include-vehicle access and parking,track locations,hazards,camping facilities,toilets,accommodation,access and/or local info contact numbers,boundary locations,how bad the sand flies are and last but not least any general locations for finding a little gold.(Or a lot who knows!)

Dont forget to upload any good photos or Youtube links too!!

The more of us who contribute the better so don’t be shy.

This could be an excellent resource for us Paydirt gold seekers!!

1 Like

Opps forgot this one!!
Some good gold history here,interesting place to visit just for the historical side ,nice camping area but no facilities(that I can remember),fossicking area is in a small creek on right hand side as you drive in(sign is hard to find).
Only found very fine gold here.
I meet a older local guy who told me a story of a tourist finding the site of the blacksmith shop,he panned the rubble foundations and got over 2 ounces!!Anyone else been here?

1 Like

Camping is for certified self contained only, very pleasant camp sites further up track next to the dam. Fossicking area is very small, look for rough track to right of entry gate, creek has low flows in summer but enough to run a box after a bit of work. From experience only expect fine specks/colour from this site. The creek is shaded by trees so nice working in the heat of summer. The interpretive track is worth the effort. Plenty of information on the history of this area.

Anyone going here gold will be found only in the top gravels as its a re-concentration of old mine tailings. Gold is fine. Ive seen people hand sluice up to 2 g a day in top 1 foot of gravels.

1 Like