Public Fossicking Area Collaboration (Aorere River area B)

Please feel free to contribute to this tread,any information you would like to share on the public fossicking area (Aorere river area B) 30 km South West of Collingwood. Information may include-vehicle access and parking,track locations,hazards,camping facilities,toilets,accommodation,access and/or local info contact numbers,boundary locations,how bad the sand flies are and last but not least any general locations for finding a little gold.(Or a lot who knows!)

Dont forget to upload any good photos or Youtube links too!!

The more of us who contribute the better so don’t be shy.

This could be an excellent resource for us Paydirt gold seekers!!

3 Likes

This is Brown Hut which is a the top of the fossicking area,a 16 bunk hut…be sure to book a hut pass with DOC before you go as this place gets very busy as its the end of the Heafy track, nice spot to hang out.

Can’t say I’ve found much gold here,anyone else found a wee bit of colour?

2 Likes

This was pretty much out from the carpark at start of the track! no colour here lol

4 Likes

they look a bit like the Devils Boots

The Devils boots are upside down. I have a photo of them but damned if I can find it.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

We were there about a month ago walking into the Slate River. Saw some colours there but couldn’t get into anything decent.

HI Mal, did you look below and above the hut on the river?

Below mainly…as in most places in NZ you have to dig deep…we were about a meter down.

Thanks Mal. I saw some rocks up river and some some shingles banks with vegetation to have a dig at. Also a creek down toward bottom of the area. Have a poke around and if no good go look at Salisbury falls and have pick around danny walkers claims next school holidays if covid lets us. My son thinks brown hut looks good.