October 2016 competition

Very nice ring. Congrats!

Good spotting Iggy, I forgot about 3pence being part of the competition.

Yes, please chalk up for me today a 1950 Aus 3pence… Photo attached.

1 Like

Some unusual pieces there. Congrats on the GOLD ring! :yum: ( yes I know Au really does deserve more than 20 points).
That woman’s face is cool… I wonder what that was off.

Tap could be a gas tap off a stove with the line soldered into the socket.

The Leyland bit doesn’t ring any bells for me (ex Mini man) The design looks to be an adjuster, turn to wind ‘something substantial’ in or out on the gearing

Like the Hay River badge(?) that’s a very long way from home!

Keep it up.

MW

1 Like

Evening all, good luck to all those participating in the final stages of the October comp.
If you don’t see a like (:heart:️) against your name don’t panic, I’m away for the weekend, so I may not record your find until Monday.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi 7 sinkers
1 ring
Half a car lol

1 Like

Nice finds Chris! That outboard looks really cool

Just a round up of the past 2 days. Hit a lake yesterday which gave up a few coins and the washouts on the beach today which produced my first few sinkers.
X2 sinkers < 100g
X1 homemade sinker > 100g = around 450g a good size to snap your rod. But being on the wild Westcoast it’s probably needed
X1 junk ring

2 Likes

Thats a big lump of lead i found a dive wieght the day before the comp …the detector went mental

Wow, that is an impressive weight!

Wow wee what a monster sinker DetectNZ :ok_hand:.

And another ring for Chris I see…mmmmm half a car :thinking:.
A favourite moto of mine is ‘rules are made to be broken’… Which I try and live by but I’m also a stickler for detail. I will advise after the AGM that I will be holding with Iggy and myself over the next day or so…

Happy hunting and enjoy :blush:

Cheers guys! Felt like I dug a thousand lead head nails just to find that beast but all worth it in the end

Big day today and probably o e of the last days I’ll get to go detecting until late January (wedding, honeymoon and lots of family from overseas).

Awesome day at my local beach/mud flat in Auckland.

Summary:
x3 threepence (English 1919, NZ George sixth, NZ Elizabeth)
x3 sixpence (Australia 1958, x2 NZ 1952)
x2 sinkers >100g
x33 sinkers ≤100g

A bunch of other odds and ends including enough fishing line to open my own shop!

2 Likes

Wow going to be hard to catch you now but going to look for a 150 yr old ring for a lady tomorrow and she lives waterfront :blush:

1 Like

Good luck on both fronts. Hope you find what you’re looking for Chris.

This is my last entry for the points competition.

Seeing that I was up and in town at 530am to drop Julia off for the Auckland Half Marathon I decided to go dirt fishing in local city parks for a few hours before I collected her.

Needless to say she got more metal (medals) than I did today :joy:

Found for the competition:
x1 Pink toy car.

1 Like

The results are in!
A nice little battle took place which was cool, and some very impressive hunting took place.
Congrats on the gold and other interesting keepers that were found.
To those that were out and about looking but couldn’t quite get the combo of finds together - thanks for trying and better luck with the next one.

Right the mystery toy vehicle colour turned out to be elusive (which was the idea).

The heaviest sinker was won by @DetectingNZ with a 450 gram monster :clap::clap::clap: Very well done indeed.
And for your efforts the following little prize will be sent a door of your choice ( just PM me the address)

The outright win was taken out by @Amerikiwi with an impressive 162 points on the board backed up with some solid hunts.
Well done on the 2/2

All the best for your big day coming up. Same address for your prize Amerikiwi ?

If you could do two more virtual medals @gavin that would be great :yum:

Finally you put up a good fight @chris with a solid score of 78 ( including 5 for that last car)

Hope you all had a bit of fun and please put any ideas you may have for the future, forward in the …Competition ideas

3 Likes

Thanks Iggy for setting up an awesome comp! Really appreciate it :ok_hand: Got me out for the first time in a while and I think I’m hooked again :grin: Grats Amerikiwi on taking out the overall prize you had some amazing hunts there was no chance at keeping up haha. Also well fought Chris and any others who were getting out for a hunt, hope to see you all and more killing it in the next comp!!

3 Likes

Congratulations guys - medals awarded :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Iggy, that was a lot of fun. I got lucky this time, and had two straight weekends where my partner kicked me out of the house to metal detect while she studied for her professional registration… Once I come back in January I suspect my free passes will be dialed back to one weekend a month :slight_smile:

Thanks again and congrats to the others who participated and found some pretty cool stuff.

Edit. Yes, please use the same PO Box address I gave you. Thanks

1 Like