Mudwiggling through 2019

I found an iPhone in a LifeProof case. The case had weed and barnacles growing on it, but the cell itself was only just knackered due to a seep. Best advert ever for LifeProof cases that day.

1 Like

Got a 1870s site just about lined up for us virgin ground… Pies an coffie at the front door

1 Like

Spent some time today at a spot I haven’t visited for a couple of years, takes a bit more in terms of logistics to get there, but a very peaceful spot and due to the location hardly touched by a coil.
Couple of moderate finds in amongst the keel strips and copper nails. A very worn half penny, guessing Victoria, but no more than a wafer. Pocketful of old decimals, thrupence that I hoped was pre-47, but not, and a couple of the ubiquitous muskies that turn up everywhere around here.
Find of the day was 2.1g of high grade gold, I think it was the ring off a pocket watch as one side has a hinge, and the other has a few mounting holes.
Pic with the big old 50c for scale - This is uncleaned and as dug from a long way down in the black stuff, so picking it’s a decent carat.

6 Likes

Wonder where the rest is…? Nice colour

great score,looks a lovely high carot yellow,definatly a bezel off something.

In ‘Town’ for the first time in several years doing the family thing, however I had the chance to hit some Waitemata mud… Sucking two nice 9ct golds out from under the Auckland boys noses!
Banging into the prop shaft mount on the surface told me that this patch hasn’t been done very often - has now :wink:

Ron Augustin was one of the Marine ‘names’ back in the 50’s. Might see if any of the guys on Waitemata Woodys wants it.

UK sixpence was nice,

Only a couple of pull tabs, which surprised me for Aucks, but I presume it’s not that sort of neighbourhood.

7 Likes

Nice score MW. The mud looks a little shallower to last time I was there although that was ages ago.

MK

Nice going mudwiggle two golds makes a great day. Haven’t found that style of British sixpence yet.

Way to go Mudwiggle nice to see someone getting some gold

Ron Auguston. Used to live on my mangrove creek he designed the Sea Bear stitch and tape Seakayak. And sold it in a precut kitset. Which back in the day was the only option other than a knordkapp (i could dream) or a Puffin (coffin)
Did literally 1000s of sea and river miles in kayaks of his design.
I think my mate still has one of the doubles we built from one of his kitsets.

1 Like

nice gold,you just need a bit of yellow every now and again just to keep you interested…

Love your griding marks in the mud MW. Nice array plus a two Au day is always good.
HH

Reaping the fruits of your labour…good stuff and well deserved!..its cleaning that mud off everything including oneself which is a bit off putting. :+1:

So a farmer phones me, “Can you find 5m of snig chain buried in earthworks?”
Me: “Maybe…” frantically Googling “Snig chain” with my other hand. :wink:
Turned up at the site, and the full story unfolded… Seems said chain was in the loader bucket which was being used for transferring fill to the site. A month later, it dawned on someone that the chain was missing…
I was given a rough search area of 20x3m with an approximate depth of 1m. Kicked my modded Excal ‘Special’ into gear and set to it. Lots of iron pings as expected but there was definitely no mistaking the chain… And, as usual, not where they said it would be. The guys started digging (I only tell them where, it’s up to them to do the hard yards :grin:) and at a muscle-burning 75cm they hit the first links. They’re only $150 new, but apparently this was a ‘sentimental chain from the 80’s’, his words.
Go figure.
They had covered the cost of gas for seven minutes work, so I tried a new estuary on the way home. Only finds of note here were a rotted out 1917 penny, similar state two silver 3d and a silver ring. But a successful recovery and some silver is a win in my books.

4 Likes

not a bad day…

Finding something for someone becomes a ‘war at all costs’ which must be won - there is a certain thrill out of finding something someone loses and the big reward is the smile when you have won and they have their property back again.

Tactical strike at some God-forsaken, muddy little sandfly incubator of a bay this morning, no trash, no coins, very few targets but the surface signs were promising…Nice thick black glass and a handmade brick.

Edit: Green glass now ID’d as Campbell & Ehrenfried Late 19th, early 20th C.

An hour later I’d gridded it both ways for these wee gems, and my bucket lister Jaw Harp :partying_face:

5 Likes

love the harp,never found a whole one myself,do you think thats its full size,it does look rounded off at its bottom edge,nive work

According to the Interwebs it’s a full size at 8cm. In good nick, the edges are still sharp, just the lighting and the fact this pic is as-dug and not de-gunked.

Been chasing one ever since Chris started hording them :smile:

Are the toys lead? Congrats on the instrument thingy