Mudwiggling through 2019

The action starts at around 15sec in that one Chris - The rest of the two hours of footage is black with bubbles and excal soundtrack… I thought you should share the sheer tedium of this hunt! :smile:

Here’s a short action-packed segment for you - 26 seconds of raw excitement (Send the children out of the room before watching)!

2 Likes

Thanks Mud both vids are showing now. I think 26 seconds of raw excitement is bit of an understatement but. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

the monster from the black lagoon.

Found a bit of nostalgia from those heady days when vast herds of rings would roam the beaches, and hunting was easy.

5 Likes

Now that looks like a nice collection MW. How many Gold?
I’m having an Au drought at the moment. Well done.
HH

Wow!
Bet you were stoked.
Do you resell, just collect them?

A nice selection of rings. Great going. You will be able to open a jewellery shop before too long! I think the top of the North Island is more lucrative for rings than down here due to longer hotter summers and more swimmers and population base.

1 Like

One of those days well done

Ahh, if only it was a recent haul. No, this is from a few years ago.
I think two were claimed from Lost Property, the rest were sold to help fund another machine
(By the way, That’s your beast Chris - one of the sharpest, most gold-hungry machines I’ve ever had)

would,ent it be nice if you could stick them in the greenhouse and they grew!!!

Must be on diet at the moment :joy: hitting the beach in the morning hopefully it’s hungry

2 Likes

Spent 4 hours crawling around the bottom of the Bay in ever increasing spirals looking for a lost ring - No joy unfortunately, and any hope of some older, interesting bycatch was laid to rest with an abundance of modern trash targets 8 inches down with V screwcaps becoming part of the benthic cementation.

Don’t believe the tourist propaganda, it ain’t all purdy and blue down below - at least upstream of PayHigher… I even timed it for the top half of the incoming so I’d have a clean water current to blow the silt away. Be a good Tui ad, that one.

Got some out of date petty cash, dropped overboard 30 years ago. The rest of the junk I left there purely for the sake of controlling my ballast.

Hooray for string and compasses is all I can say!

4 Likes

Short hunt in the dirt today, random doorknocking to find who owned a collapsed farmhouse. Finally found the landowner with an overly friendly and slobbery huntaway at his side, “Go for yer life”. “Great, thanks - Does your land go down to the stream?” “Mate, I own everything for 3 miles around it…Knock yerself out”

Couldn’t get the coil out fast enough.

Huge nail field around the site, and every time they re-roofed, they’d thrown the leadheads out into the paddock, so the 66’s on the VDI became tiresome after a while. However managed to lift a pair of '35 sixpences, a 1930 ha’penny with nice glossy patina and a weird badge which I have just tracked down to the Old Hobartian Association. Couple of quick emails and got a positive result in the form of the modern version of the badge they’re still handing out today, the moderns are a junk alloy now rather than the copper originals, and they’ve also dropped some of the white enamel topsail detail. Could be anytime after 1915, although the coins suggest 1930’s vintage.

Called in on Farmer Bob on the way out to give him a rundown of the hunt and secure a return visit. Left him with one of the sixpences as a thank you.

Not much else of interest at this stage, need to go back with the small coil to firkle in between the scrap. Found the midden, although that was a sea of iron - few interesting bits of glass and pottery, nothing worthwhile.

90 years in the acid dirt really takes its toll on stuff up here…
Old and New:

8 Likes

Hard work ring recovery today.

John was out swimming and realising he’d forgotten to leave his gold wedding ring behind took it off and dropped it inside his wetsuit for security. All went to plan, until at the end of his swim and while wading ashore he unzipped the wetsuit and folded it down. The inevitable happened, however it wasn’t until he was back at the car and out of the wetsuit he remembered the now absent ring.

He spent some time looking for his treasured ring in the grass in the carpark and retraced his steps up and down the beach without luck.

I came into the story three days later and made the journey over to hopefully reunite them.

John was up to getting wet again, so I asked him to take one of my marker floats out and drop it at his best guess for the start point.

Starting initially with a spiral search pattern in the immediate area out to 5m, I then ran parallel sweeps back into the beach in the direction of his travel back to the car – pausing to brace into the occasional larger breaking waves.

Once in the shallows, I took a short break to remove the wetsuit and switch to dry gear for the remainder of the beach, continuing the overlapping parallel sweeps back to the car – With no luck.

I always aim to run at 90-95% probability of detection, and the fact I hadn’t found it irritated me. I explained to John that the chances of missing it were slim, so there was a possibility it had fallen out on the hard sand or grass and been picked up. The search corridor marked out allowed for plenty of space either side of his track, so I was confident it wasn’t there.

John accepted the loss, we shook hands and he headed on his way home.

After packing the gear away, I grabbed a coffee from the nearby caffeine pusher and sat in the car looking at the beach with the search grid in the sand… I wasn’t happy about something, but couldn’t pin it down. I needed to have another go on the “Assume Nothing, Believe No-One and Confirm Everything” principle.

What if John hadn’t come in on the direct line he thought he had? Watching the swimmers and kids splashing around for a few minutes, I saw there was a subtle longshore drift dragging them along the beach. I decided to go back in and extend the search corridor.

Didn’t bother with the wetsuit this time, just grabbed the scoop and detector and headed back to the edge of the previous search area and started adding another 10m to it in the direction of the current.

After maybe 15 minutes, I got that solid gold ‘thud’ in the phones, and the scoop picked it up first time.

I headed back to the car and not having Johns number, phoned his wife to give the good news and ask her to get John to turn around and come back. He was a very happy chap when I dropped the ring in his hand.

Emptied out the pouch of the bycatch this morning, couple of dozen pull tabs and crown caps, but also two junkers - The bunny was rather apt for an Easter hunt.

7 Likes

great work,determination brings success.

“Never say Die” MW. Well done. Bet he was wrapped.

HH

Keepin’ shit real… Two Hours in the sea at a popular tourist spot this morning. This doesn’t include the numerous foils that floated away during recovery.

Looks like good time to come up with all the trash gone🙄sure can be disheartening all the beaches down here well sanded in… Bring on the winter floods

Likewise - I was going to suggest a “house-swap” You hunt up here and I’ll see what’s left down there :joy:

Oh, how quickly we forget that last gold, eh?

i wonder if anyone has found a cell phone in the water that works…