Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

Well dug mate! :slight_smile: That’s an old Swedish copper coin! Can’t believe that you actually found one in that condition, that’s just crazy. Pretty much all the old coppers that I find are so badly corroded that it’s nearly impossible to identify them…

@Goldenboy_98
Thanks.
I was really surprised at the condition of a couple of Roman bits my mate pulled - I’ve had 1950’s pennies rotted out in the soils here. Probably accelerated due to the heat and humidity.
Real hard work swinging though, they spread a lot of recycled “green waste” on the fields which contains a sea of shredded crap, plastic, glass…bits of TV - you name it. It’s a real pain for the guys over there. Ranks up with, and in fact exceeds, city parks for litter! Unbelievable. He reckons some fields are undetectable now due to the noise.

Was a bit upset as Col was looking at the coin in the pub. When I got it back he’d been cleaning it on his jeans, I’m sure there was more life to it “Nice, but only 1700’s chief, your round”.

Only 1700’s…:unamused:

Treating it at the moment for a touch of fluff.

Just a bit of fun with something I found on the old maps while I wait for the Excal to charge.

Would be interesting to visit, or maybe stay overnight for the worst ever episode of Scooby Doo…:ghost:

"…The story of the Haunted Whare also has its source in fact. In the early days when sheep-stocking was being attempted in the mountain country, a Maori shepherd, by name Wi Takerei, was found dead on the floor of a slab whare built near the waterfall, one of his eyes being missing. “The lonely desolate spot on which the whare stood had been regarded by the Maoris as haunted by the ghost of a young woman who had come to a violent end near there, and now the people were disposed to believe that the kehua or ghost had had something to do with the young shepherd’s death.”

The Haunted Whare now standing is not the original whare, but stands about a quarter of a mile from the site of the original hut. Soon after it was put up, “it was occupied for a time by a surveying party working around the mountains, under an assistant surveyor named Springall, who had a Maori wife. Some time in 1883, Springall and his wife and another Maori woman were snowed up in the whare. Late one afternoon they were playing cards at the table facing the one window when suddenly the women saw a face at the window. The apparition seemingly was that of a young Maori woman, of a handsome and fair type. The two wahines were overcome by the shock. Springall rushed outside but could see no one, and there were no tracks on the snow.”

Later, after the whare had been deserted for a time, a traveller camping there for a night reported seeing the same face at the window, and an old recluse who was stationed there as a shepherd “used to say he was visited by a mysterious Mohoao woman several times.”

2 Likes

That Haunted Whare was in this months issue of NZ Outdoor Hunting magazine. Last 2 issues they’ve had an article covering things like haunted huts, Taniwha, Crocodiles, Fiordland Moose, Canterbury big cats, etc. - been a good few reads!

1 Like

Haunted Whare…Apparation of Mysterious Wahine who leaves no footprints in fresh snow… Body of a Shepherd found sans eyeball… what could possibly go wrong.
Maybe send GP to check it out first…

First ring recovery for the summer
Thanks to a very accurate start point, managed a find in 12 minutes! Bit of an anticlimax after driving for over an hour to get there
Very lucky as the beach had already taken it down 6 inches since she lost it two tides ago

One extremely happy lady.

4 Likes

The fastest detectorist in the north: Well done MW

Finally got to the beach this morning. Stinking hot already at 9am, although a steady stream of lead kept me going - sure enough, the detecting Gods worked some alchemy and turned a (very) small bit of it into 9ct for me

Tiny, tiny gold… :laughing:

Had a young girl come up and ask to help find an earring - but a thin, wispy silver sleeper with a two day head start in heavily travelled dry sand full of pull tabs? Gave it 15 minutes but it’s still there for someone else, one day, maybe.
They’re only $10 a pair…

4 Likes

Nice one MW. Gold is Gold. It’s got to be around 3 grams +. Congrats

1 Like

Heh, Would be nice - I have Grizzly Bear paws

Only weighs in at 1.2g - Adds up though.

2Hrs worth, finding lotsa potholes and not much else, while having a wade in torrential rain at my out-of-the-way beach - Someone’s beaten me to it! :laughing: Whoever it was packed out the junk anyway. Fair play to ye! Yah raiding bugger :skull_crossbones: :laughing: :thumbsup:

Missed the tatty FunHo though. #54, Tractor Shovel (1972-1982, 300,000 made) - I’d say this is a later version as it has the plastic ‘tit’ on the cab, earlier ones probably didn’t.

2 Likes

british racing green too…

Nah, that’s what it would have looked like - My one is the pale blue derelict :slight_smile:

Always feels good.
Took 7 months of stalking on FB, Twitter etc but finally got a direct hit.

7 Likes

Far out well done I’ve lost a couple up your way they have a distinct couple of letters and numbers consisting k"s ones and eights

Well done Detective MW.

12Hr overnight session planned as this low trundles through tomorrow night
King High right on peak windspeeds, should be some excellent erosion and littoral drift being set up.
Metservice will be writing the Weather Warnings as I type.

Anyone in the Naki, watch yerself if on the coast.

EDIT
Hahaha! Just logged out, popped over to Metservice site and sure enough:

EDIT2 0730Hrs 4/1

1 Like

Took advantage of the tourists being driven off the beach by the heavy rain moving through this afternoon. Lovely and peaceful. Walked straight into a small honey hole which kept me entertained for an hour, some spendies, a small 925 ring and a once-was-plated junker . Then as the rain stopped and the hordes started to reappear, I headed into the mud, but that was very quiet, giving only one more small 925 ring, '47 penny, and a handful of scrap.

5 Likes

Have temporarily beaten a strategic retreat after repeatedly being forced to kneel in prayer in order to remain upright while getting blasted with wet sand and seaweed. Seriously considered the foetal position at one point! First shift completed and probably one of my Top 3 hunts. Several trees down on the way home, added chainsaw to the car for the return trip.

Local weather station consistently clocking 90+kmh, 94mm rain so far. Haven’t had this much fun since TC Pam.

Time to catch some ZZzzz’s while the second big tide rips more edges off NZ. Back on the road at 3

5 Likes

Diary of a Loony, Chapter 3

Woken up just now to a hell of a crash next door - suspect neighbours carport has jumped the fence. Winds consistently running at around 80kmh now with some huge gusts can hear Eucalypt twigs landing on the roof from trees150m away. At least the rain has all but gone. Biggest wind we’ve had here in 10 years. I will be expecting some major damage down country as the centre of the low tracks southeast.

But for now, Turkish coffee and off to see if the roads are still open :slight_smile:

And back home again!

Plan B was scuppered by a shitload of sand having arrived overnight. Made a half hearted attempt in case any small silvers had been washed in, but I very quickly decided to maximise time elsewhere - Back to yesterdays lucrative Plan A site.

Sooo…Drive for just over an hour in the opposite direction to be met with the same. More sand had blown in. At least the peak winds coincided with the big tide last night and there was a small step at one end of the beach, Heaps of old decimals floating out of the undergrowth, along with a couple of 9ct golds.

Tally so far: $61 in goldies (I don’t target clad, if I’m digging a hole, I want it to be worth my while), USA Quarter, 5 sen (Malaysia), 5 centavos (Argentina), 1 yen, 3 silver and 3 gold rings (one a monster 10g 18ct), plus the usual matchbox cars, lead and associated bycatch of spacejunk.

Still tossing up whether to make another attack on this afternoons low

3 Likes