Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

@roy1954
Dunno - would be a mission to get SCUBA in there. I suspect it’d be a sea of tabs and foil, tried a couple of other local swimming holes with the bottle, but junk jewellery and real junk is the order of the day. Half of the local town stormwater discharges into this stream further up. Eyeballed a silver chain last year at the outlet though.

Can only imagine what’s living in the stormwater drains of the big cities! (And I’m not talking about biologicals).

2 Likes

Once tamed giant rats can make great pets.

I had a good ancient swimming hole target in my sights, shallow enough to detect, rocks can be moved asided too. But reckon it’s full of junk, and possibly hit already. Might be worth a pointer only mission though.

1 Like

Heh - What could go wrong!

Early start and after an hour and a half on the road the solo raiding party arrived in neighbouring territory just before dawn.
Almost made it a double “Olympic Day” with two bronzes (1950’s pennies), two silvers (Sixpence and Shilling), and a Gold

Did a small land hunt which pretty much consisted of sucking foil and tabs out of the dirt, but was nice to be offered the opportunity.

Spent an hour watching some hefty rips pulling sand off a beach, but couldn’t be bothered hanging around for 6Hrs for the low, so snuck out the backdoor and headed home.

Finds of the Day:
2 silvers, really tiny 9Ct band and a 45 Colt live round.

7 Likes

My apologies for leaving so much trash :grin:

2 Likes

Looks like a pretty good day Mr Wiggle, Awesome

1 Like

great scores,gold is good

1 Like

Love that bullet. Nice coin dates there.
Must be happy about that ring :slight_smile:
That stamped round sinker is quite unique.

Up in my old stomping ground hope i can get back up there sometime have a few places id love to search

5 Likes

Cool! My kind of site…just you and the coil. What kind of age do ya reckon Mr wiggle?

I think the top two huts are old MOW workers huts.

MK

Not far off MK, NZFS camp

Early 1900’s for the house, the huts date to probably only 1970’s

Waits for thunderous applause…not a sausage.

Back from the UK, got a chance to get out on a hunt with a borrowed machine - held my first 1600’s hammered silver :heart_eyes: and really happy to dig this! My New Oldest Coin found detecting (but a bit cheaty as it’s not NZ)

Also revisited the house I grew up in which just LAUGHS at the Kerikeri Stone store - 600Years old, 3’ solid stone walls (robbed from the castle that (was) on the hill behind it and complete with priest hole, which the current owners have turned into a wine cupboard(!) The slates apparently still slide off the roof in a storm (as a kid I lay there there on a stormy night hearing tchtchtchtchtchtch…splatch! on the road) Forget all the tourist tat placards that say “Queen Mary slept here” - Stanley Baldwin had his hair cut in our lounge… beat that!)

Aaanyway

Good to see no-one missed me back here in the land of the 1880 penny! WooHoo!! :grin:

https://finds.org.uk/counties/merseyside/the-dangers-of-olive-oil/

I’m having a clearout and am happy to send anyone several years’ supply of sodium sequicarbonate (postage cost only) if they are serious about preserving their bronze finds for the future. (Non hazardous, but doesn’t taste very nice)

• Send me a PM with your delivery address.

Spending the weekend driving the coast to see what’s changed on the beaches and worth detecting - My Reale was fantastic, but I have 1749 to beat now! Gonna be tough.

MW

5 Likes

Welcome back Mr Wiggle, hope ol blighty treated you well.

Couldn’t get out of the place quick enough.

Far too many people for this country mouse.

Thinking about coming your way early Dec to hita few beaches if your keen on a hunt…nice coin by the waygreat condition for the age

Be good to see you up this way again. Haven’t found anywhere with less sand than I left it yet though. Butt Plate Bay was very quiet this morning, Usual musketballs (a couple were ones I’ve left in the dirt previously :laughing: ) and a sprinkling of old decimals, only silver was a manky shilling. Another swinger was working it as well, but he didn’t put many holes in either. The way he was waving it around he could have gone over a dive weight and not heard it.

That coin is fairly hefty, bit like a mini-cartwheel. (imagine two pennies stuck together). I’ve had much worse $2 coins, it be the luverly Dorzet sandy loam thart do thart, m’dear… (Took me a day before I could again understand what people were saying! Oi use tzound like thart unnall).

…Probably still do after a few whiskies.

2 Likes

Sweet …might bring the family up and find a motel wouldn’t mind doing the hell hole and butt plate hitting the river in the morning for an hour then swapping to a surfcaster snapper are coming up early

1 Like