Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

That fossilised wood sure is a unique find.
I’ve heard it’s found all over the Coromandel Peninsular.

Plenty on Coro, in fact all sorts of interesting stuff there for a rockhound. Found a old mining track at the back of Tokatea that cut through an amethyst reef - the whole track just turned purple - amazing sight.

Lots of sub fossil material up here, but I was surprised to find true silicified wood. Nearest I knew of is Tinopai on the Kaipara.

Here’s some 4-10 million old leaves from my immediate neighbourhood, subfossil.

Found in a primary lignite deposit sandwiched between Putahi rhyolites and Kerikeri basalt flows.

3 Likes

Now that is impressive. Did you donate it to a museum?

I keep my eyes peeled for fossils, they’re valuable. So are the coordinates.
Gotta get all the revenue you can being a detectorist-gambler.

Nothing flash in the last couple of hunts, just the usuals.

Hit a rivermouth this morning for more boat shrapnel, junk earring, few coins and another probable late 1800’s flat button (this is #17, never thought I’d ever have a fnarking button collection!! Wot an anorak! :laughing: ) - This one has Craigle…rest undecipherable. Think it might be Craiglea, but unlike the good old “Excelsior” flats, can’t find anything on the interwebs.

3 Likes

Looks very much like my hoard this morning :persevere: had a guy come up to me and told me he lost 50c at Devonport in the 70’s and gave me a very detailed description of it possible wherabouts i said to him I’d head down next weekend and have a go and return if found …he said" bloody buet" and off he went

4 Likes

Speaking of trolls

You think it would be evil of me to scatter $100 of unspendable decimals over the sand dunes at Ocean Beach?

No, to be truly evil you would need to scatter replica soveriegns

1 Like

Okay let me get this straight.
I make them from Alumium - because it gives the same indicator as gold.
Then paint the same colour as Export Gold bottle caps - those bloody things get me going every time!!

Bah, sounds like too much work.
I’ve bought a few of these off ebay, they’re only a $1

Have you got that amount?

Probably better to trade it in for scrap metal value.
I often leave bags of foreign coins and such at playgrounds - tresure for the kids.

Do you mean $100 of those bitcoins!
No, I got three of those, two gold, one silver. Planning to bury them somewhere detectorists are sure to find them.

Short run at the local on my way past - Not a big tide, but did force me to hunt a tidal zone I usually ignore.
Plenty of rotting beer cans and pull tabs, but in amongst them some better stuff.

bits from the past and lands far away…

3 Likes

Surprized you haven’t hit some good spots.
Whatever happened to the awesome place that you photoshopped in the Auckland skyline? :wink:

Been trying to get out, but life keeps getting in the way - Lost count of the number of aborted hunts in the last few months.
Currently sitting here with the kit in the car, waiting for a stroppy thunderstorm to move on…I’m currently under the red bit

Rain and lightning don’t bother me, but I draw the line at chunky hail!

The beach you’re talking about is back under 1m of sand - Only problem with surf beaches, they can cut for no reason - then revert in one tide cycle.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess it depends if you’re near to detecting locations.
Right now, I have my river (pretty much done it).
But otherwise I have to drive, Ngungururu is close, but pretty well detected. Can also kayak there, might do an over night in kayak, saves petrol and can get to unreachable places.

I gather you’re finding a lot of sinkers & copper that you don’t mention also.
Rain has been dire up here.

Sorry to hear about that beach. Here is a related news article funny.

1 Like

As the sea giveth, so shall it taketh away…
Beach Missing for 33 Years… Returned Overnight

Did a Dog Park this morning working on that age-old story:
Woman throws ball, ring goes with ball, dog only trained to return ball.

Not a single ‘landmine’ encountered. Seems the dog owners are more than willing to keep ‘their’ spot clean, but parks and beaches…:rage:

Was surprisingly sterile though, probably covered about 400m of path edges for 2 crown caps, a bourbon can and 2 dog name tags. Not a well used area, but thought it worth a crack.

2 Likes

Getting desperate for fresh dirt up here. Decided to try an old swimming hole.
Parked at the end of the track just on dawn and made my way into the bush, a certain strong earthy scent drifted down the stream valley as the nearby residents fired up the weed. After 10 minutes, I was at the pool - been closed off for about 70years as tracks fell into disrepair, and property owners actively discouraged people. An initiative over the last couple of years has seen the path reopened. And it really is a neat walk along the stream, about 40min each way, but I was only going as far as the swimming hole this morning.

I expected a lot of spacejunk so focused above the flood level and also over the creases in the bedrock, places people would sit or change. An hour or so gave me a nice range of pennies and halfpennies 1940’s - 1960’s. Really happy with the result.

Wandered a little further downstream, and found a fine example of why you don’t build in a flood zone - Looks like some sort of sleepout from the days when the adjoining property owners had exclusive access.

A short way off the track I came across this 1930’s spoked wheel - Looks like a Model A or similar. Probably past restoration :laughing: The good old crossply tyre wasn’t in bad nick though, probably due to being protected from sun.

Might go back and just have a fossick in the area, looks like the house above was just throwing their crap over the edge - could be some interesting early bits and pieces under the cliff.

Now…What time’s low tide?

5 Likes

looks a great spot is the water deep,i smell gold maybe a scuba dive.

Great stuff.
You ever tried Whangarei Falls, or the surrounding walking tracks?

Nah, it’s a major hike for me to get down there, so I usually work the beaches.

Heard someone found a stash of mortars in the bush at the falls not long ago.

There was also a skeleton of a boy found :scream: