Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

mate it is a great spot we have here

Rolling it through into 2017.

Briefly met up with Chris this morning, chasing elusive erosion.
Very quiet again, spent a couple of hours working a window in the beach for a chunky 925 bracelet and the remains of a (once was) gold plated Seiko SQ100. Serial gives a manufactured date of 1995.

Pulled the back off to drain the spirit level bubble out of it and remove the battery carcass. Would have been a very upset bloke a few years back.

Time to go door knocking for some winter permissions!

4 Likes

Sorry my wife said I had 1hr or else😠 working on a permission not far from here …managed to pop that fob

Any hallmarks on or inside the back cover?

Internals are in good nick - Pour some boiling water over it, let it dry thoroughly in the sun, then give it a sniff of Inox or CRC to stop the iron going funky.

My wife’s been down country all Easter, eat,sleep,detect for 4 days - S’pose I’d better get the sandy detectors out of the lounge before I forget.

2 Likes

No hallmarks Had a quick sweep at woolys on the way back (lost ring) still lost will give you a shout once I’ve got permission and stop pinching all the good stuff off my beach😊

You wandered off bro :smiling_imp:
Keep an eye on that window, grab it if it swings open a bit more :sunglasses:

I also got $3 after you went, should help offset the $120 I spent on fuel over the weekend… :laughing:

1 Like

All good my friend catch up soon 10 k from the rainbow

Back in the stinky ooze for a couple of hours this morning.

Managed an “Olympic” day (thanks to whoever coined that phrase, pun not intended) today.
GOLD goes to a nice 9Ct signet with “Prill” inscribed on the shield. Beautiful dark toning and details worn away just on the top side, so has been there a long long while as this area is barely tidal, certainly no wave action. Prill could be short for Priscilla? This was found in yellow sand about 200mm below the surface, under the black and grey muds. Reinforces that the mangrove mud is a recent situation. This was a nice beach once upon a time.:worried:

Second place SILVER goes to the old favourite - the silver shilling. 1937 this one.
Third place BRONZE jointly shared by three pennies, 2x George 5th and a Liz.

Also my first “aviation” piece - prop off a drone or RC plane that obviously arrived in a hurry, rather than landed gracefully… :laughing: This was embedded in the mud, but couldn’t find a crater or other bits.

And the usual old decimals and lead.

And a little-known extra function of the Swiss Army Knife - The ring holder.
(Just need to get a decent camera now!)

6 Likes

good is always good,where theirs one theirs more.

For sure - This is about #5 from here, and maybe the same in silvers.

tell you what i have found out about the beach the best stuff is close in,way out is where the teens go most.silver stuff comes from out there,the diamonds and gems come from close where the moms and tots are grand dads old stuff there too.i allways look for the sand moving close in,people swim when the tide is high too dont forget.

5 Likes

Grey matter hahahahaha :sweat_smile:
That rings a beauty.

Out with Chris today visiting old house site and the coast, about 7Hrs swinging all up with enough finds to keep the anticipation up.
Finds of the day were:

Junk alloy jewellery box
Copper ID tag riveted onto rough cowhide, still some hair under the tag “Mt Eden 1901 119” - Anyone?
Clay pipe stem eyeball find
1943 ‘silver’ shilling
Another NZ Railways button
Large 925 ring
Medium gold plated silver (the dreaded HGP stamp :unamused: )
Small 9k gold
Nice 925 earring
925 charm - Even with the pinpointer, I was chasing this through the mudslurry for a wee while
2 mid-late 19thC flat buttons (Excelsior and “Improved Patent”)
1920 drilled ha’penny
Hefty bullet. Distorted, but best guess 12.5mm dia 16mm long seems to have a chalky core material
Graffiti’d 1942 penny
Some sort of copper fastening (second one of these I’ve found here)
And a brief sojourn to the sand while I waited for the tide to drop netted $11 in goldies

And just shy of 2kg of fishing sinkers and scrap lead. Found a few musket balls, gave one to Chris and tossed the others over the shoulder for future hunters to add to their collections.

Bit sore but a good day outside.

6 Likes

makes it all worthwhile just to see some yellow.

That’s a haul of lead for sure. Going Hard!
Love that little charm.
Can I get a close up of the button with two holes - looks very fancy.

Here you go @GoldPandemic

Found a reference to another “Improved Patent” that a swinger dug on a Boer War era site. The Excelsiors are fairly common mid 19th military ‘repair’ buttons

Damn that’s cool, very fancy lettering. The Excelsior one has a nice little insignia too.

Nothing of note for the last few hunts, This sinker is being added to my novelty fishing weight collection.

Egg carton - Brilliant, out of the (egg) box thinking by some backyard foundry

1 Like

Fearlessly walked past the sign, but I think the seal had scoffed all the goodies. Nothing but a handful of 3-4oz leads.
Glad it was a daylight hunt - wouldn’t have seen this in the dark! As it happened, Jaws was elsewhere, probably eating penguins.

Tried spot #2 nearby - fully sanded in and only hits were ali flotsam, so using the principle that if the sand had built here, it may have gone from further up…

Spot #3, despite a nice trough in the beach spitting out plenty of lead, it was very crowded and didn’t take long before I had a swarm of 8-10 young kids getting in the way. Temper started getting a bit short after the usual decoy techniques didn’t work. Worse when they saw me dig a few dollars of goldies in a spill.
Although they became like a pack of Chihuahuas when I dug a bracelet, despite the language getting stronger about keeping out of the way of the coil swing, and their little Raccoon hands in the holes before I even had the pointer out of the holster. I decided to call it quits before one of them accidentally got ‘scooped’. No, really, at this stage it would have still been accidental…

So, a big pile of lead, slightly smaller pile of ali trash and broken glass, Tui penny and a teeny-tiny S/S bracelet. Hoped it was silver, but can’t win 'em all.

Last tide tomorrow - Might get back into the mud for a wiggle.

6 Likes

Yep, i dig the scene. Your diggin a hole and the young ones are in there tryin to unearth the find. Annoying but ya gotta give them a big E for effort…
One time this young fellow says - " there it is " , grabs it and launches - off to show his dad. The coin was 1800’s errr…

Go hard - get back into the mud for a wiggle. HH

3 Likes