Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

good scores you have to think theres more to come at that spot

Thats some good incentive for me to get out there Mudwiggle. The stormy conditions may have opened up some of the beaches. Cant wait.

A successful hunt indeed - agreed Shane some incentive to get back out there after it… which I must do myself.

Lots of targets in that haul to keep you busy, well done.

1 Like

For sure Iggy lets get out there.
Cheers for the tip Mudwiggle. Headin out tomoro and goin hard.

Shady

1 Like

Hunt 2016.50
Revisited last site, but nature already well underway putting things back as they were. Scouted around but nothing to get excited about at any of the beaches I visited. Found one area of stones which make the occasional appearance, although not a prime spot - it’ll do, had to get a few hours in to justify the drive!
Results were as expected - lead and a handful of old decimals.
Another $2 shop kids junk ring (starting to hate these!), US nickel and a couple of thruppences, one being silver and the closest I got to precious metal today.
Nearly 1.5kg in sinkers and leadheads and $8 in ‘Gold’
Bring on the cyclones, that’s all I can say!

3 Likes

Current lead prices you just made $2,00

wheres theres lead there is gold gold

Yeah, unfortunately at this spot, lead is as good as it gets…

I would be happy finding lead at times save me buying my fishing weights

King tides, Supermoon, 40 knot winds - Too good to miss, so took the day off work.
Made a weeks wages in scrap value bullion alone this morning.
Three and a half golds (1 and a chunk of 9kt, 1x 10 and a monster 18k) plus $55 in goldies
Best two as teaser for story to follow:

4 Likes

what a cracker dont you just love gold in the scoop

Hunt 2016.51
Supermoon Super Fun!

On a gamble of the supermoon high tides coinciding with strong winds I took the day off work and went in search of erosion.
At 1am I was on the road and heading along the coast scoping various beaches to see where the best chances would be for the low tide at 4.

100km of driving out and back from various beaches I had my best possie, and as luck would have it, it was one of the last beaches I visited which saved a long drive back down the coast.

Normally untouchable due to deep, deep sand I wasn’t hopeful with regards to finds here, although there were rocks well exposed that I’d never seen before which showed that at least a metre of sand had been stripped in places.

I started a lazy zig-zag picking up the odd 1 & 2c in the surface then that solid high note in the phones - $2 goldie, then another and another. Oh yeah.

Started spiralling out and found the high and low limits of the line where they were laying and went to work.

Noticed I was picking up a few sinkers on the bottom edge, and 1,2 &5 cents on the top so after cleaning out the money lane I dropped down in the search for gold.

The sand was really deep and loose from the waves here and I wasn’t hopeful of pulling gold, but wound everything up until the detector was twitching nicely and started low and slow.

After a few minutes, I got that nice low grunt and out came a green and crusty 9k. Thin and small and it snapped as I gave it a scrape with the fingernail, but at least I had a win.

I carried on working the line pulling sinkers up to 8oz(!) then I got a flaky signal which kept disappearing. Only thing I could so was to open up a decent sized hole to get the coil deeper. After a constant battle with sides falling in I got a clear pinpoint and got stuck in with the scoop, just shovelling shell out to the side as fast as I could - I’d pick through the spoil heaps later. After maybe a half dozen good scoops I ran the coil over the piles and saw it emerge - a huge 18k chunk with lapis setting. Beauty.

Shovelled the small mountain of sand back into the hole, onwards…

Further up the beach, next to a neat Red Indian lead toy, I pulled the broken remains of an old 9k ring, style looks 70’s with a nice translucent but heavily scuffed jade slice Then tucked down in the rocks was a fancy 10k ring with ice. Three and a half golds and a pocket full of $1 & $2 - with zero space junk. Perfect morning.

Headed back to the car for a kip, then scouted around a few other possibles during high tide. Found a couple of spots in a popular area where there was significant erosion to the foreshore, but despite lifting a few promising crusty old decimals, nothing found. I think this one has been worked very heavily over the years.

Tide was half out now, so I wombled back to my earlier money-bank beach.

As soon as I got there, I could tell the bank was closed. One tide, and the sand was already well on it’s way to refilling the beach with several rocks having already vanished.

I dropped onto the beach and went back to the goldie coin line but silence… not a single bleep through the phones.
Game over.

Final tally:
Rings: 3 1/2 Gold, 1 silver (V corroded), 1 junk
Copper koala necklace
Goldies: $55 (and 70c in warty clad)
Half Crown, Florins (1 silver), Sixpences (3 silvers), Aussie penny and 3 halfpennies (Oldest coin 1908 Edward ha’penny)
10 UK pence, 30 Euros, Singapore $1
Huge stack of old decimals
Some sort of brass brooch/badge (broken)
Obligitory keys and cutlery
2.43Kg of lead (!)

Seize the Moment guys!

8 Likes

Geepas I’ve got to hand it to you… you put in the hours combined with experience and research - The results speak for themselves really!
Outstanding beach hunt :ok_hand:

1 Like

Still learning to beach hunt myself. Theres a lot more to it than dirt fishing that’s for sure. You’ve definitely got it sussed though, really nice haul :+1:

Wow nice going, always good to supplement the old income with Gold

Silver rings are nothing to sniff at. That huge signet is amazing.
Great story, and love the way you display your finds on the white plate.

Really wish I had spent more time on beach detecting when I was in Auckland.

I’ve pulled gold out of pretty much every ‘remote’ beach/bay I’ve detected. Over time, someone would have visited, and lost, on these now out of favour beaches. And they’re less hammered than the city beaches. Just because it doesn’t look pretty now doesn’t mean it wasn’t a popular spot back in the day.

Hunt where no-one else can be bothered, and you’ll win.

2 Likes

[quote=“Iggy, post:53, topic:616”]
…and research[/quote]
Hydraulic lift is my current pet science. This has already given me gold :slight_smile:
Relatively few beaches have it, but those that do…

I’ve been asked by a couple of people as to clues where the “Auckland” beach is.

It’s not.

Merely a fake skyline to preserve my goldmine :grin:
Some will know where it is (The pic is real as far as the skyline), and I wish them the best of luck if they have a crack.:thumbsup:

2 Likes

Hi mudwiggle,cool finds there,love the gold rings,well done m8.