Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

Sand was silent this morning, so squandered a couple of hours focussing on deep whispers in the mud, the Time Machine was apparently jammed in the early 1900’s.

The cartridge is an unusual one I haven’t seen before with a double pin strike, Think it may have been a misfire that was reseated for a second go?, looks to be .447cal, no headstamp. Ramset maybe? Also lifted several small brass shotties, but too far gone to get an ID.

Assorted undergarment clips and buckles and a cool octopus (unfortunately just kiddy-bling), and a 1920’s Kolynos Dental Cream tube head with an early flip-top rather than screwcap (“The Time, Trouble and Temper Saver” according to the ads)

Find of the day was my first Mickey Mouse pin, with a very worn 1900 sixpence coming a close second.

Did four doorknocks on the way home, forgot it’s a workday for most and was met with silence (and one Chihuahua going ballistic at a window, good for a laugh).

3 Likes

Good to see you didn’t pinch much😉 I went past about 7 but left the gun at home I haven’t had much luck in that general area I’m just about to have a swing and will PM you a spot I found today

cool micky looks early anything on the back

@roy1954 Nothing on the back, it’s corroded enough to show the flowbanding from the casting, so not even going to clean it. It’s only taken me 30 years to make it into the Mickey Mouse Club, not going to snap it now :laughing:

@chris - Heard you toot, but by the time I looked up and waved you were past. That mud was very quiet, well hammered. I was going deep and slow and pulling wisps of copper and pea-sized sinkers from a foot down until the novelty wore off, then headed to the Sov spot for a cheeky nosey, that’s where all the ammunition came from (and far too many lead heads). Walked way upstream to the second big bay, but not a peep apart from an ancient rowlock.

Lol your bootprints where still visible on the second low

I was wearing my size 4 “My little Pony” gumboots - must’ve been someone else :laughing: Don’t taunt me Bud, I’m SAR trained in mantracking, if I can track a hunter in the bush, up a stream in a thunderstorm at night, I could follow you to the end of time…:female_detective:

1 Like

Choice. Have a drinky everyone.
:beers::cocktail::wine_glass:

Random doorknock in town, enough scrap roofing offcuts to build a battleship, let alone sink one! Got four decent targets out of her front lawn, Veiled Vickie 1901 halfpenny with a real solid, deep green patina (gave to the owner as a thank you), 1917 penny, '35 shilling and a '49 penny. Happy with that.

4 Likes

shilling looks a good one

Yep, VF, harder date. Happy to surrender the VIckie :wink:

1 Like

What…a…shitty…night !

Wind so strong could only hear the phones on full volume if I walked with my head at 45° to the wind
Big, cold drops of torrential rain being driven at mach 2 by the aforementioned wind stung like buggery - So now walking head down tilted to the side at 45°
Low pressure and solid easterly wasn’t letting the water drain off the flats, so even at the big low tide it was still ankle water where it should be well dry.
Got to the edge of the channel, only working knee deep given the conditions and stood on a bloody ray within 10 minutes! At which point I decided I wasn’t enjoying this :roll_eyes:

Found bugger all. Cold, wet, miserable. Canned it after 2 hours. Comedy of errors continued as I tried to get changed in the car - There’s me wearing nothing but my watch and wedding ring when a camper pulls up beside me! Well past caring at this stage… Fortunately it was nearly pitch black.
Got home - had to park on the road as neighbours tree had decided to have a lie down in our driveway, Drenched again by the time I’d walked up the drive! Ate a pack of sausages out of the pan, like a savage, and hit the sack.

Spent more time driving than swinging.

Two George V’s and another deceased iPhone were the only things of note.

Back on the road now for round two… A bit closer to home this time.

4 Likes

10 out of 10 for effort wonder what the people in the camper van scored you…

1 Like

Didnt Barry Crump write a book about you ‘A Good Keen Man’ - or should it have been a book ‘Mad Men I have Met’
Better luck next time out and may your perseverance be rewarded with many goodies!

1 Like

Bugger that it doesn’t take much rain for the road in to flood

1 Like

Grand effort, your keener than i am. happier hunting next time.

2 Likes

Awesome, going hard. Those are nice coins.
I’ve found some copper bars like that, are they old boat trim?

1 Like

Brass rubbing strips off keels. Still in general use today.

2 Likes

Caches are real, and still being lost to this day!
Was asked to locate a couples’ buried investment recently, unfortunately due to the delicate nature of the job I will be keeping most of it in confidence - I have been given permission to publish the following though. (No Q&A dialogue that could identify persons or location please). Here we go, a true tale of a pot of gold…

Let’s call him “Bob”.
Bob contacted me through Dean at Mine For Gold asking for help locating a cache of gold coins he’d buried some years ago…and now was unable to remember exactly where!
Oh dear.

After some background checks to ensure it was all legitimate, I met up with Bob and his wife and they showed me a patch of pasture with several excavations. Looking at the scene, I could almost sense the growing panic with the turfs transitioning from neat squares to less organised lumps and becoming more scattered around the holes…

I switched on the detector, tuned it up, and started to work the pre-dug holes to ensure it wasn’t just a case of not going deep enough. As each was cleared I moved further along the line, eliminating a few false hits which turned out to be flakes of scrap. I reached the end of the last excavation and just past the far edge, got that “Dig Me!” solid tone.

Bob went in with the spade and quickly exposed a flash of red plastic - just under the grass! I’m sure everyones voices went up a notch as it was progressively unearthed.

Now, the fundamental rule of detecting is to always check the hole, and to ensure no coins had been lost from the now damaged jar I stuck the pinpointer into the hole. It twittered away excitedly, so I scraped the soil with the pointer and exposed more plastic!

Turns out there were two containers, not just one as first thought.

Keep your coils to the soil folks, you just never know.

6 Likes

amazing i think i would have prefered a safe deposit box…

Now that’s what you call a treasure hunt. Nice one MW.