Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

great finds,was nice of them to bag the coins for you to find…

1 Like

Thanks guys, obviously missed this bit many times
@roy1954 I think it must’ve been a swipe from a shop, they’re all 1967 - 1980, and 90% are VF/AU (some with very nice rainbow tones)
Been through for key dates and errors, but no luck - can’t win them all.
Nice boost to my Reserve Bank cash-up though. $276 and counting.

5 Likes

Back on the road again… Found a spot with a nice deep erosion cut and hammered it for a couple of hours. Nothing startling, and I could see that I’d missed the boat by a few tides.
Still, enough interesting sounds in the sand, and bugger all trash.
Found the three necklaces within 10m of each other - 2x junks and remains of a 925 heart. Bulk of the goldies were all in a nice neat patch too.
Two pennies, 1908 in great nick (shown as dug) and a QE2 vintage one which hasn’t fared nearly as well.

The ‘blob’ looked and felt like a penknife, so bagged it.

First whack with the 5/8th spanner (especially calibrated for cracking these things :wink:) and a wisp of brass showed through. 5 minutes of tappy-tap, and the bulk of it emerged. Doesn’t look like anything special though, brass and wood. I’ll have a pick at it with the engraver (great tool for this, like a mini jack-hammer) then the dremel and see how it comes up. Obviously the blades have all relocated to the outside clast.

Enough sand, Back into the mud tomorrow.

4 Likes

That is a nice 08 penny mudwiggle.

1 Like

Can’t see the modern coins looking like this after a century on the beach…

4 Likes

lots of targets some old stuff too there must be gold in there somewhere.thats the hard part …finding it.

Long day in the mud…Many holes, not a lot of shiny goodness to show for it though. Highlights: 1899 3d, pocket watch cover, half a dozen muskies (some round, some splatted), heap of copper, bigger heap of lead. Thought I had a pistol barrel, but turned out to be a length of iron tube that had grown a ‘wart’ that looked like a sight. Better luck next time. …And yet another bag of coins! $4.60 in 20c’s this time.

2 Likes

Geez your keen Mud. Any hallmarks on the watch back.

MK

Nah, just plain brass.

The mind boggles - I think that it is all in the ‘excitement of the chase’ - that expectation of the unknown - dare I promise that you will find ‘GOLD’ shortly because if any one deserves it then it is you…but then again it could be said that devotion is rewarded and the odds are in your favour.

Great going - I love it - always look forward to your finds.

I look at it like an oversized game of Russian roulette - Spin the chamber enough times, sooner or later that golden bullet will come out :smile:

Molly kept saying dad he’s digging again had a great new spot hunt cheers

@chris fortunately it wasn’t as good as I’d hoped from the first indications. My other early morning spot I mentioned was a bust with the area of interest under a shell bank, although some good 19th century engineering was exposed further up the beach.

MMmmm… love anything with big old wrought iron rivets.

My eyes were rivetted to the large item that you have found - excuse the pun - I wonder what it was - looks too large for an old metal tea chest that they used to convert to water tanks before my day…back in the olden days!

You could always take it and put on Ebay - dredged up from the site of the Titanic sinking.

1 Like

You lift it and carry it out, I’ll give you a 12% cut on the proceeds.

It’s solid, ship-grade Victorian iron. I know there are the beached remains of a Paddle Steamer hull in the area, although this isn’t it. Piece here is 2x1m, steel is 3/4" with inch rivet heads… Can rule out a Honda Civic.

2 Likes

No detecting today, so just keeping the faith with a wee ditty from Mike Harding…

The trees grow ancient, green and tall, as they have always done there,
And spread together over all, to shield the earth from sun there.
Seedlings spread, young trees grow old, old ones die and turn to mould,
Till bush returns to hills once clear and man, it seems, was never there,
And the apple trees still bloom each year, in the hills . . . of Coromandel.
It was the gold that brought them in, when thousands here did rally.
Their secret shattered shafts remain, abandoned in the valley.
Roads they fashioned in the clay, are overgrown and washed away,
And fences built by settlers’ hands, are gone rejoining broken lands,
And a rusted gateway lonely stands, in the hills . . . of Coromandel.
No more the pubs where they stood, the shanties and the people,
And timber churches gone for good with ruined, rotted steeples.
It’s years now since the miner came to work the gold, exhaust his claim,
Then leave this place for better gain than that he’d found, but just the same
The toppled tombstones bear their names in the hills . . . of Coromandel.
The days of gold are past and gone with the men who took their chances.
And the bush is slowly marching on in a silence no-one answers.
Now birds call out to empty air - no-one comes, there’s nothing there
But a gate that’s open to nowhere and names on sandstone faint, but clear
And the apple trees that bloom each year in the hills . . . of Coromandel.

Mike Harding, “Past to Present”

3 Likes

the name mike harding rings bells who is he and when…

http://www.mikeharding.co.nz/recordings.html

He’s done a few songs about the mid 1800’s gold mining, whaling, land wars etc

1 Like

was he a comedian i seem to remember him back in the uk

Different Mike Harding… The Kiwi one is the guy who tantalisingly flits in and out of Google searches for “Mike Harding” :roll_eyes:

I think “Past to the Present” would appeal to a lot of guys on here, Not a folksy ballad guy myself but there’s a few real good tracks on there.

Bombers Moon is also worth a listen in a melancholic moment with a whiskey in hand in front of the fire. (That’s the UK Harding, not the Kiwi one) This one is on YouTube.

1 Like