Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

wow… lot of targets one bad back on the cards.fun at the time though…

@roy1954 Sand scoop. Can go 10 hours and then back the next day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

its definately kinder on the body than land digging,its when you hit rocks and you know it going to be good you have to move them,half a dozen of them you know about it.

Nice, going hard! :innocent: thanks for the tip.

Goes to show…
Just come in from fine tuning the mod on the Ace250GT, chasing some airgun pellets I’d buried in the lawn, when I got a good tone in the phones.

Out from the topsoil came one of our front door keys that I never even knew I’d lost! :laughing:

3 Likes

The 250 has a marble mode in case you have lost a lot :wink:

2 Likes

New patch of estuarine mud today, through intel received from an elderly gentleman. I’ve driven straight past this wee bay every time I’ve gone on a hunt! It was very, very quiet and it was only the odd toots from spacejunk and a muskie that kept me going, until I popped a young Vickie shilling. That brought a smile as I slipped it into the pouch, and suddenly I hadn’t wasted a tide. That was it really though, kilo in lead, small silver heart ring and another brass shottie - Went for years without finding these (or even knowing they existed - now I’m getting one almost every other hunt…in different spots. Weird)
The fork and spoon were found at opposite ends of the bay, but matched. Premium A1 silver plated. The tines are needle-sharp, and it’s not wear/corrosion either. You’d never get away with a fork like that in these H&S times! They must’ve had tougher steaks, and lips then.
The Bourbon St. Whore House tag seems to be just a novelty tourist trinket - Shame really, would have made it to the top shelf if it was the McCoy.
Rusty blob sounded off enough to intrigue me to bag it - turned out to be just a pair of nail clippers.
And for laffs, the hairy thing next to the clippers is the worst matchbox car I’ve come across - It’s only the presence of a single plastic wheel that IDs it as a car!
The shottie headstamps are Winchester Repeater (1898-1938), and Ammo-House (Can’t find any info, other than a domestic brand), the reloadable brass shell is good ol NZ CAC.
Was still in a hunting mood, so returned at high tide tonight waving a different sort of stick and came back with seven other treasures in just over a half hour - Breakfast sorted. :laughing:

Yummo…

4 Likes

Jeez that shilling is in pretty good nick mate well done be worth another crack

Thats a beautiful shilling mudwiggle well done, could be more. I have found that style of ring before too.

1 Like

did you get the flounder with the detector?

I don’t think he can have…he was out of his depth and floundering about.

3 Likes

@kiwikeith Yer, just crank the EMF field up and they float to the surface :rofl: Nah, went back with a pointy stick and a torch.

@chris @CosmoCoinage Dunno, it’s a ‘very’ small bay, although obviously seen some visitation back in the day. I was pretty much cherry picking to get a feel for what was there, there won’t be any deep targets as the substrate is only a few inches down. Becomes a coverage thing - Heading back there this arvo with the WOT coil. The muskie was an airfall or pocket drop I think (no impact marks).

@Lammerlaw This is no plaice to make comments like that, have you no soul?

1 Like

Hey I love floundering about but when ever I get the chance then because I am having such a whale of a time I get carried away and groper and that could lead to getting canned!

2 Likes

Oh spear it lammerlaw.

1 Like

Hey dont be mean - I am hooked on it Unless of course I DETECTED a hint of jealousy but if you get too worked up about it you might burn out your mortal COIL - didnt make sense? - definition of mortal coil ‘Mortal coil is a poetic term for the troubles of daily life and the strife and suffering of the world. It is used in the sense of a burden to be carried or abandoned. To “shuffle off this mortal coil” is to die, as in the “To be, or not to be” soliloquy in Shakespeare’s Hamlet.’ - sort of a poetic manner of saying that your BATTERY just went flat.

1 Like

dont you just hate it when your battery goes flat…

perhaps that’s what happened to the flounder. why they are flat

Mud, glorious mud…was hunting blind as I forgot to take my headlamp, and couldn’t be arsed walking all the way back to the car

Found my first horde though :laughing:
Got a damn fine toot in the phones, pointer told me it was shallow so I raked my fingers through the slimy ooze and felt a small bag with things in it! Has to be washers, nope, no holes. Hoped they were pennies, but unlikely in a ziplok bag. gave up trying to feel what they were in the dark, through gloves, and pocketed it. Metre away, hit another!
Needless to say that patch has now been done to death (given that all I knew was I had two bags of coins)

Also lifted a nice WW1 15th Nth Auckland Regiment cap badge, again I couldn’t see what it was, but I could feel it was a brooch of sorts.

The usual muskie, another wee penknife and a 1938 penny.
The bags contained $22.27, in mostly old ‘silver’ decimals - and included a 1908 halfpenny which was a nice surprise.

6 Likes

Marvellous find - Its finds like that which make it worthwhile and also make you want to head back to the same spot…knowing that you have cleaned it out…and yet…!

1 Like

Love that cap badge awesome, nice work mudwiggle.

1 Like