Mudwiggling through 2016 (part 2)

british racing green too…

Nah, that’s what it would have looked like - My one is the pale blue derelict :slight_smile:

Always feels good.
Took 7 months of stalking on FB, Twitter etc but finally got a direct hit.

7 Likes

Far out well done I’ve lost a couple up your way they have a distinct couple of letters and numbers consisting k"s ones and eights

Well done Detective MW.

12Hr overnight session planned as this low trundles through tomorrow night
King High right on peak windspeeds, should be some excellent erosion and littoral drift being set up.
Metservice will be writing the Weather Warnings as I type.

Anyone in the Naki, watch yerself if on the coast.

EDIT
Hahaha! Just logged out, popped over to Metservice site and sure enough:

EDIT2 0730Hrs 4/1

1 Like

Took advantage of the tourists being driven off the beach by the heavy rain moving through this afternoon. Lovely and peaceful. Walked straight into a small honey hole which kept me entertained for an hour, some spendies, a small 925 ring and a once-was-plated junker . Then as the rain stopped and the hordes started to reappear, I headed into the mud, but that was very quiet, giving only one more small 925 ring, '47 penny, and a handful of scrap.

5 Likes

Have temporarily beaten a strategic retreat after repeatedly being forced to kneel in prayer in order to remain upright while getting blasted with wet sand and seaweed. Seriously considered the foetal position at one point! First shift completed and probably one of my Top 3 hunts. Several trees down on the way home, added chainsaw to the car for the return trip.

Local weather station consistently clocking 90+kmh, 94mm rain so far. Haven’t had this much fun since TC Pam.

Time to catch some ZZzzz’s while the second big tide rips more edges off NZ. Back on the road at 3

5 Likes

Diary of a Loony, Chapter 3

Woken up just now to a hell of a crash next door - suspect neighbours carport has jumped the fence. Winds consistently running at around 80kmh now with some huge gusts can hear Eucalypt twigs landing on the roof from trees150m away. At least the rain has all but gone. Biggest wind we’ve had here in 10 years. I will be expecting some major damage down country as the centre of the low tracks southeast.

But for now, Turkish coffee and off to see if the roads are still open :slight_smile:

And back home again!

Plan B was scuppered by a shitload of sand having arrived overnight. Made a half hearted attempt in case any small silvers had been washed in, but I very quickly decided to maximise time elsewhere - Back to yesterdays lucrative Plan A site.

Sooo…Drive for just over an hour in the opposite direction to be met with the same. More sand had blown in. At least the peak winds coincided with the big tide last night and there was a small step at one end of the beach, Heaps of old decimals floating out of the undergrowth, along with a couple of 9ct golds.

Tally so far: $61 in goldies (I don’t target clad, if I’m digging a hole, I want it to be worth my while), USA Quarter, 5 sen (Malaysia), 5 centavos (Argentina), 1 yen, 3 silver and 3 gold rings (one a monster 10g 18ct), plus the usual matchbox cars, lead and associated bycatch of spacejunk.

Still tossing up whether to make another attack on this afternoons low

3 Likes

Good on you for getting out there, wish I was… no I’m happy to be in!

Yeah, shame that sometimes the weather/king tides can bring in sand too ::unamused: But I guess it has to dump the sand it steals from other beaches somewhere!

Are you going to give us photo’s of your loot?

You have found 3 golds so far. There might just be more out there so go on the low. Look forward to the pics. Good luck.

[quote=“Metalkiwi, post:162, topic:616”]There might just be more out there so go on the low[/quote] Yeah, what the hell. The local is swarming with swingers though, well three yesterday, leaping from the motels with machines in hand once the rain stopped - Too late fellas :smile:

Sorry for the delay, was going to do a final roundup shot. Since I’ve got everything cleaned up nice here’s the score after round 2 (minus the leads and scrap) The SharkBite Hot Wheels is pretty cool.

4 Likes

Bloody hell Mudwiggle, you have set a high bench mark there. Hope it continues. Great to see the photos.
Thanks
MB

Wow look at the yellow stuff. What a great way to start the year.

You are the “Detecting Shark!”

Love the filigre & twisty rings, that’s a lot of gold.
The earring looks good - just a junker?

Yeah, just a bling from Christmas silliness, or as my wife calls them, “Fresh Droppings”

1 Like

Managed to catch the last showing of Gold in the Sand at the local beach - all back as it was.
Was a bit more empty now the storm has driven the tourists out

Walked down to the waterline, switched everything on and straight onto the first target - big gold bangle, with ice! Given the audience, I gave it hardly a glance and slipped it casually into the pouch (never count your winnings when people are watching)

On a high, I proceeded to work the beach for maybe a hundred metres, at all levels up to the dry, then down further to catch up what the tide had uncovered…2hrs of this gave me $4 in goldies. Revisited the hotspot from yesterday, also silent (although I had already pounded it)

Got in the car and took it out of the pouch - was then I saw the borer holes in it…the encrusting was rusty, not green and there, next to a flaking bit of plating…“S.STEEL.”

Bugger.

Buggerbuggerbugger… Explains why it didn’t handle like crapmetal alloy.

Bought a pie with the meagre spendies to console myself on the way home.

2 Likes

heartstopper better luck next time

Hahaha, that’s a good story though :smile:

Well, never thought I could ever get 'Detectored Out" On the road at 4:00am to hammer a beach that I found had cut right out at one end, with over a metre of sand gone. Even the grey-haired locals were saying they’d never seen it so empty of sand. Not a popular or heavily frequented beach, but it has lived up to my motto that EVERY beach has at least one gold in it.

Cleaning things up at the moment, here’s a taster of what I had…

Needless to say I’ve spent many hours vacuuming this one over the last two days! I always take pics of new beaches I hunt until I get to know what the depth indicators are, in the last 24Hrs, this one has started to rebuild by 10-15cm already.
Now I’ve had my fill. If anyone is up here and keen to have a go (and you’ll have to be quick), message me and I’ll let you know where I’ve been so you’re not going over depleted ground (I won’t say ‘barren’ as I got fed up lifting lead)

3 Likes