Monthly competitions

I will disclose the prize at the end of the comp ( to help keep everyone honest) although I will know what the prize will be before each comp starts and a winner is known.

gday shane how are you? how much would it cost me for a few sets of the fossmag to be sent to rotorua? i need a few sets for prizes at the seeded hunt im organising in a few weeks!

@ATandy try the @ShadyShane to make sure Shane gets alerted to the message :wink: He will be now Iā€™ve done it.

1 Like

Cheers Andy, Cheers Gavin.
I will donate the mags. Keen to hear how it all goes.
Good luck and Happy Hunting.

1 Like

If changing the future competition to make it viable for Veterans & Novices.
Using the current competition as an example:
How about making decimal 10 cent 1967-1969 (shilling) 2nd place, any other ten cent with the required year or closest to it 3rd place. And a Shilling 1st place?

Or if that is too complicated; main prize ten cent 1967- 1979 closest to secret year. Commendable 1980-2016 closest to secret year.

Another optionā€¦
You can select your target, depending on level of challenge you want and your preferred hunt area
For example
a) Intact beavertail pull tab - Undamaged, incl folding. (1 point)
b) Silver sixpence/threepence (5 points)
c) Mower damaged 2c piece (10 points)
d) Junk ring (20 points)

eg 4 silver coins = 1 junk ring
Highest points takes line honours

Idea #37 for the coastal crawlers...
Lead sinkers - easy targets, scrap value and environmental clean up.
1oz = 1 point, in other words, most kilos wins.

Both very raw ideas that would need nutting out.
1 Like

Cheers for the feedback :+1:
Personally I would prefer to keep it at two winners (winner, runner up) per competition. Mainly for ease of management and keeping it simple. Although I guess a vertual prize for third could be done for the odd one.

BUT yes definitely would to be good to involve all.
Itā€™s pretty clear there is some ā€˜good sportsmanshipā€™ taking placeā€¦ Which is cool, but it is removing them from the game so to speak.

Taking this present competition theme, one way could be as well as the mystery date (1st) maybe (2nd) goes to person who got the most number of 10 cent coins over duration? The veteran can chose to enter a few including date if he or she wishes(or as many as they like ) and the rest of there coins could be pictured reverse side up to go all out for the most coins ???

The sky is the limit really and I will try and have different themes to keep it fresh each month (coins wonā€™t feature in all of them) and take on board and discuss members ideas and likes. There probably wonā€™t be another mystery date one for awhileā€¦ But it will happen again one day.

It looks like people are getting into it, which is great to see :blush:

1 Like

Yeh cool I have been rolling that point one around myself a bit.
One of my possiblesā€¦
Any NZ coin featuring a bird
Pointsā€¦
Penny 1
Sixpence 6
Florin 24
20 cent 20
$2 2
Multiple enteries allowed most points at end wins
With maybe a mystery date in there somewhere
Needs a bit of fine tuning .

Think I might get a wee notebook to jot some of these ideas down and to record who has been given what regarding prizes etc

1 Like

Thatā€™s very unique indeed, maybe throw a lead sinker in there to to keep the beach goers happy?

Typo and addingā€¦

Wondered if people could collect and score points on any number of the said targets randomly finding (a b c d) as they go and by the end of comp tally up. Example 6 X a, 1 X b, plus 2 X d

OR

Does the member pre decide their preferred target based on there experience, location, expectations (or first find even) One of the said targets only to search for and score points on for the duration of the competition. Example member #1 8 X a
Member #2 1 X c

OR maybe Iā€™ve missed something?

I like the points idea, just a thought I know most people will have an idea of who is currently leading (I know I will) but wondered if we went down this route-whether members didnā€™t record there tally publicly so to help maybe avoid (ohh so and so is winning- thatā€™s cool, Iā€™d like them to win maybe I wonā€™t enter that ring I got last night) ?

Yes, keep it simple. I love the date, and most coins. But if someone is digging the most, they are more likely to get the date also?

I love that coin with a bird idea.

On paper yes but it seems that some of the veterans have opted to not include ā€˜all of there foundā€™ coins as possible date matches, which is sporting of them.
And could enter the rest dates not showing as enteries for most coinsā€¦ Yes I know the idea is flawed :thinking:

Hey GP. Iā€™m just about to go out for a wee look aroundā€¦ I hope your going to give those tens a hurry up over this next week :yum:

Just thought Iā€™d share a few more ideas while they are still fresh. Nothing set in stone though and all would need refined :wink:

ā€¢ Pennies both full and halves, any nation but must have the word Penny on the coin (pretty obvious) two stage comp with a twist each person is limited to say maximum of four(?) entries over the duration of comp.
winner #1 mystery date (probably a NZ penny) but it will only be either a full or a half penny (only I will know)

Winner #2 oldest penny as above either full or half but this time both being eligible, obvoiusly this will more than likely be a Britt variety.

A wee bit of strategy involved with this oneā€¦maybe go all out on say four full NZ pennies on the hope that they are the chosen coin for the mystery date element.
OR
Place say one entry in NZ full and one in NZ half for the mystery date leaving two entries for the oldest coin.
OR any number of ways to play it really.
One issue with old coins would be date readings but a 17?6 clearly beats a 187? which would beat a 191? Coin

ā€¢ Toy car (vehicle) comp another two stage one. First place, hunting for an unknown colour, if colour not found then next on the list kicks into play. At end of comp maybe 6 of the best cars could be chosen and two polls set up for members to vote for their preferred best. (Pretty sure each poll only has three choices)

ā€¢Potential also to possibly add a bonus curve ball to the points idea mentioned earlier where a certain colour of a said object maybe gets some bonus points. But this may just over complicate things unnecessary.

The involvement of the cursed pull tab could have a positive spin where a gold ring or two is found as well :smiley:

ā€¢Misc items that could fit somewhere

Keys lead sinkers. Copper nails. Foreign coins. Badges. Bullets. Buttons. Animals. Military. Rings Spoons/forks/knives. Pet Iā€™d tags. Silver. Gold. pacman coins. Lures. Best find. Biggest find. Smallest find. Most unusual. Best iron find. Best post. Best in the field picture etc etc

1 Like

I love the restricted number of entries to 4.

How about best jewelery piece as judged by you at the end.
Maybe a survey to pick the top 3 out of 10, then you select one of those to be a winner.

Hey man just call me ā€˜biscuitā€™ (I crumble under pressure)ā€¦had an old boss with the same nickname :cookie:
Like the :ring::gem: thing one issue I canā€™t tell a good ring from a bad, hence wanting the members to vote. But if push comes to shove yeh not a problemā€‹:yum:

Well, it would be more of a personal opinion, and the judge could cycle. Or have three judges that give a number out of 10 to each of the 3 finalists, then the one with highest score wins.

1 Like