Metal Detecting Misadventures

I love Yello - Oh Yeah
Unfortunately the stack was empty, apart from some mud :unamused:
I’m going to try and get some scrap metals from it.

Yes I thought the tube sinkers might have been from nets.

Spent too long at Helena Bay searching for ship wrecks.
It was a dud. Highlight was copper wire.
Beehive frame which I might be able to sell is cool, and nice spanner to add to my growing set.
Half a sinker & scrap of lead.
Interesting couple of NZ Giant Snail shells, though they were unfortunately both damaged.

Stay tuned tomorrow I will be making a large post late in the evening, I found a super secret spot.

1 Like

Well started off a bit late, then had an accident which significantly shortened my hunt. Will be back tomorrow - then I will post.

Te Waha O Te Parata
(Mouth of the Taniwha)
aka Seagull rock
Here is a view from the top, it’s quite high once you’re up.

These waters look tropical, they’re not warm though but a nice relief from the scorching sun.

3 Likes

Nice methodical coverage :+1:

Hope you also hit that exposed substrate at 10 o clock from your kayak :spy:

5am tomorrow morning I will detect the hell out of it at the SUPER SUPER TOP SECRET LOCATION.

Beautiful spot :slight_smile:

Would be hard to concentrate on the ground.

That’s easy, the ground is full of treasure.

looks a cool spot is it a popular swimming spot,must be gold in there.

Pretty huge in summer. Though there is a private camp ground - not sure if I can get easy access to that beach. May have to risky my life in kayak at sea to get around a point :grimacing:

1 Like

Whananaki
I may as well get in on the action since I’m in the area.
(This is where I’ve been, if you haven’t guessed by now.)

Day 1
Wasted too much time at Helena Bay.
Only knew the Whananaki South Road way home - 9km of widing metal road in second gear. So left early, planning to come back and hire a kayak from the campground.

Day 2
Why hire, I have a roofrack and kayak!
You’ve seen a picture of my activity at the island here is more:

The island is quite narrow.

It’s pretty high when you climb to the top.

There was once a taniwha called Parata that resided near a rocky island at the mouth of the Whananaki estuary. One day, while swimming nearby the taniwha reached out
and touched the island, leaving marks from its claws behind on the cliff’s face.

The rocks sure are rough, a bit crumbly and have some quartz & iron veins.
It’s quite a narrow Island, and the sea has undercut both sides, if it continues it could become an arch, might take 100 years though.

The island has 3 Gorse bushes and two shrubs with little green pods. I recall using these pods as ammo as a child and my brothers and I broke out in rashes or bumps and were really sick, would love to know the name of this shrub if someone can supply?

Did a quick zigzag detect at the end of the sandbar trying to find the old wharf - zilch.

Had a wardrobe malfunction that ended my day too short :frowning:

Top Right is what I got from the Island, a fish hook from the rock to left, and two fish hooks from island right up at top.
People obviously used to sit out here and fish at high tide - a good spot.
The copper wires are the most amazing green :slight_smile:

Got all these .22 casings and a slug from the original wharf site, or close to it. Just about the only thing left. There are a few pilings, but they could go 5m down & that is where the REAL treasure remains. At some point I will attempt to dig it up.
U headstamp symbol; Remington Arms Co USA 1885
Number 6. See pic of headstamp; Western Cartridge Co. de East Alton (Illinois) founded 1898
.22 long can’t read the case headstamp
101 headstamp antique

Lead goods seals:
GPO NZ/AK 192 x6
?Y NZ/AK 1921
GPO NZ/AK 213
GPO - Grand Post Office.

$2, $1, 5c, 2x 2c, Independence Dime.
Finally got my self a key.
Some copper nuggets, lots of lead nuggets - roofing nails that went through a fire I suspect.
300g lead all up.

Day 3
Kayak again. Weather is terrible.
I planned to cut out the Gorse from the island, but left it be, it is good shelter for some natives I planted; Flax, Cabbage tree cutting (hope it grows - they’re really hardy), Kohuhu, Totara, Manuka, Pohutukaka & 4 tiny baby pohutukawa. Would have loved to put in a Rata as they are extremely hardy - not sure where to find one,and don’t want to put in anything that is not native to the area.
Saw a guy on a stand up paddle board heading out into the raging ocean surf - are you insane mate? Then again I’m shirtless detecting in a storm!
My dry shirt is a reward at the end of the day, go hard or stay home!
More zigzagging on the sandspit, nothing much to report except some beer caps and random clothes.

FYI
The hill area with trees at centre, from the brown house near the boat to the yuck green house is Tapu - don’t dig there unless you want bones and angry Maori after you. There was a Musket Wars massacre there.
Not a very good spot near the houses - just iron junk - nails and concrete crap. Down past the green house near the footbridge it’s not much better.

Well wasted too much time on the kayak.
Finally did some in shore detecting after gorging and hibernating in the car for a bit.
Managed to leave my car unlocked for half the day while I was out on the kayak! No problems.

Wish I had more to show.

Here are some pictures of the cemetary on the sandspit for those that are interested.

6 Likes

Wow! Massive trip.

I think the shrub you were asking about is “Apple of Sodom” - Toxic which is likely why you got sick!
http://pestplants.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plant-search/Sollin

No it’s not that. Looks like an ordinary shrub or small tree. The berry things are very pale green and not perfectly round about the size of a $1 coin but can be as large as $2.

Yes i couldn’t help but notice the grid search pattern - nice.

I’ve had adverse equipment too. Detector beeps as I swing especially at each side of swing. Often if I tilt to left & up - so I need to detect down hill if doing slopes.
I had a little bit of falsing in the past, which was probably a tiny bit of water getting into coil :pensive:

Along with that the sound suddenly goes low, then high. This is also a recurring problem from the past, but now it is sudden, and I know why - the earphones have a break in the lead. It’s due to the way I water proofed my detector.
No problem, I can’t fix with a bit of soldering.

I use waterproof earphones, but I’ve leaned there is a time and place for headphones.
If there is traffic nearby, also noise cancelling would be ideal (I might try and get some cancelling earphones - headphones would be superior).

looks a great place to visit but looks remote,best spot for jewelry is amongst the masses,more the merrier,you must score gold soon,keep swinging.

Yeah, I’m not too fussed about loot. Though I wish I’d detected Auckland beaches more when I was there.
I prefer historical items, I value my lead goods seal with the star more highly than my gold ring. There is no info that I can find about goods seals. And I’ve not seen a similar one. I’m quite nostalgic about historical items.
Though I really do want some silver coins occasionally, Hell I’ve not found a silver item yet - I blame those other detectorists with their machines that vacuum the silvers up :smile:

Was at Whananaki a wee short while ago - great place - love it - seeing your pictures makes me jellyarse that I am not there at the moment…maybe soon.

1 Like

Once the weather clears. I’ll be back. I’m going to vacuum the shoreline :slight_smile:

you will have to invest in a decent coin shooter with good disc on it it sounds like you need a good day get to the older parks your best chance of finding old stuff.millitary, civic functions, all happen in public parks ive found my best stuff in public parks remember more people mean more things dropped.look in gumtree over hear you will find something for 500 bucks,get something in brisbane and i will pick it up for you.

1 Like

I can’t stand digging soil, beach is easier. My detector is meant for gold. I’m only doing this for a bit of fun.
Trying to out do some of the others that have hit Whananaki, for a laugh.

I LOVE Gumtree, best site for detecting gear.

1 Like