Metal Detecting Misadventures

I’m very impressed with your lead collection, why are they so colourful, toys?
Ironically lead is one of the rarer elements.

Only the center piece is lead found on a Northland beach. Is one of my favorite finds of all because of the shape and colour. Lead can colour when its molten and dropped into mud or clay.
Here is another pic of it and the piece of brass which we first thought might have been GOLD. i gave it a scratch to bring the shine back up.

2 Likes

A is a trout fishing sinkers that you rap the line around not a lot round to day

1 Like

Yeah it’s quite fancy in any old sort of way. Was really happy when I pulled that up, as I could tell it was old.

Out for some exercise in my kayak no detector, around an 1900 area, picking up interesting rocks.
This one turned out to be about a kilogram piece of lead!

Looks as if it was just used to help secure something, something went through the middle.
I thought this area would have been detected out. Looks like I’m going to have to go hard over the next few days, see what I can turn up.

Update: 803 grams.

2 Likes

A cool piece of ballist for ye kayak…
Go hard GP, we all wanna see what turns up.

1 Like

Raining today, and other things need to be done. Normally that wouldn’t put me off but One of the waterproofing valves on my detector has been misplaced, I’ll be remedying that shortly & superwater proofing that pesky coil - I’m real keen to go below.
I carry the kayak on my back from river up a hill to home, and that lead sure made it more difficult!

1 Like

yep know what you mean . its raining on the coast as well just started . a friend of the forum has just called in to stay a couple of days so will have to do the denniston thing in the morning now . were going to have a look in the creek from home don’t need to get in the car for that one . bugger the rain

1 Like

Well kind of wussed out today.
Very low tide, but still not a lot of room on the bank, was very unstable and dangerous. So I just had an explore and looked for things, until sandflies declared world war upon me.
Will take rope & grapple hook next time.
I may have to detect from the kayak, lots of interesting things even a few carved from stone - will take camera next time.
Picked up lots of iron scrap including an Alumium bottom from a water heater.
Found a hole punch on side of road, will make use of that.
Brass embossed pot, has an image of a ship on the bottom.

Sure that’s a pot? Looks like a mangled early 1900’s hammered decorative plate/tray that were all the rage. Diameter looks about right at 12-18"

3 Likes

at least its about 4 bucks worth of scrap, i remember my grandmother having one of those brass plaques hanging on the wall.keep swinging g p gold is just around the corner.

Cool find, looks like it was hit with a plough or something.

:beers:

It was crushed, along with everything else, perhaps intentionally, as the whole area may have been a danger.
1900 is exactly the time period for this area. Thanks Mudwiggle.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the coil. Just drying it will leave concentrated salt in the guts and is an eventual death sentence. Having watched a $800 VHF rot in front of my eyes over a few months after a seal had a little ‘weep’ due to a hair getting trapped.

Pick up some “salt-away” from the local hunting and fishing, and use that to rinse the coil really, really well (diluted with tepid water) Little bit goes a long way, so only buy a small bottle!. Take your time, and continue until you are convinced you have all the salt out - then do it one more time.
Then rinse a heap more with distilled (or rain) water. Put towel-dried coil in pillow case then inside bag of rice. Allow to dry somewhere warm for TWO weeks minimum.

Now get yourself a tube of Sikaflex291. This stuff is alien-engineered sealant. Sticks like shit to an Army blanket. Allow to dry for 24Hrs/mm of thickness applied (preferably 48Hr/mm)

Your coil will never leak again.

Well, not there anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks, those tips are great - should be put in the equipment section.
I’ll just wait for it to die - then rebuild properly.
I’ve sealed it up now.

Miserable day, and the usual miserable finds. But I needed the exercise.

Found the mechanical watch in a drinking/nookie bush spot - may return for a more thorough check, though there was a fair amount of old barbwire scrap.
I was told by a local that a detectorist did the entire area about ten years ago, he slept in his van for a week :frowning:
But he gave me permission to detect on his property so I might give it a go.
The glasses appear to be gold plated. They’re RayBan made in italy.

2 Likes

If someone spent a week there, there was a solid reason for it… Just need to find out what they were chasing

And what they missed

2 Likes

Oh, well it’s a good area. They went all over. But I will go into the river - I bet they didn’t do that.
I’ll go into the hard places & I’ll dig everything.

1 Like

Just a quick update on that large piece of lead I found a few weeks back, weighed in at 831 grams.

My coil has been giving my falses, especially when I turn it to one side. I’ll need to do a rebuild sooner rather than later :pensive: But I have exciting plans which I’ll document on these forums, just hope I don’t need to renew the wire - I do have some, but not sure if its the correct type.

Another crappy day. Decided to have a quick hunt this morning at a rest area anyway.
A local I know saw me and came to be curious about my detector. But it was good as he informed me that this area is not old.

Well kind of decided to scap that idea. The tide was out, so I made my way into the mud. Actually wasn’t too bad. I had a spade to double as a walking stick - didn’t fall over.
Expecting a lot of crap, got my first sinker and a few bits of junk, but the junk was minimal.
Then I kept getting more and more sinkers, many of them were visible on the surface - no need to even detect which is nice for a change. It’s an alright fishing spot & swimming spot when the tide is in.

I got real keen and walked in deeper than my gumboots could hangle. But water filled gumboots actually made me more stable when walking along the river bank. I’d actually timed it right as the tide was heading out, waded in waist deep on to some rocks in the middle of the river.
Some real nice sinkers turned up, some kinds that I’d not seen before.
For some strange reason the two narrow tall ones were together even though one had nylon the other string? And the 3 triangular ones were all in the same spot.
A few of the long hollow ones were also next to each other, are they off fishing nets?
One of them is just a flat piece of lead rolled up, interesting. And I love the little folded piece of lead. Also got a washer sinker. It’s great how creative people get.
The two sinkers with nylon loops out the top are very different, they are strips of lead rolled up, look like padlocks. Also found together.

All up I got 1219g of lead. :trophy:

Found a 10 cd changer - now thats a bucket list haha! :slight_smile:
The lump in the top right, was rusty, quite heavy (503g) and when hammered silvery underneath. I was hopeful it was a silver nugget :grin: but expecting brass, a hacksaw told me it is stainless steel.
Necklace is plastic found on surface.
The copper thing is the centre of a brass door lock.
Not sure what that ceramic thing next to coins is. $2, 20c, 10c all spendable :blush:
And the mirror still in good knick has Honda on back - likely motorcycle.

Walking back home was risky with all the good condition hooks & that tri-hook with all that lead swinging in my finds bag between my legs! :fearful:
I’ll be redesigning my finds bag shortly.

Only had a brief bit of drizzle, then the sun came out. I’m real happy about this hunt. It has motivated me to do more detecting.
Only detected a 100m area, spent over an hour.

1 Like

The two tall sinkers are off the old handlines, nylon cord wrapped around a bit of dowel. The cylindrical ones are net weights, quite productive once you find two or three, you can usually follow them to the end and bag a kilo of lead.

Check the CD player to see if there’s an ancient Yello album in there, mine got nicked in Auckland about 15 years ago :wink:

1 Like