Metal Detecting Misadventures

Yeah, told Doc and they reckoned there were no other Gecko’s seen in this area since 1933.

They are very rare. seen one up here was bright green and larger than that one.

Yes, dig everything. I keep pretending that the iron will be a trade token, that some other poor bugger didn’t want to dig :grinning:

I looked up the gecko’s, there are some very pretty ones. I hope to see more when I’m deep in the South. And spot that elusive South Island Kokako :bird:

thats one cool gecko biggest ive seen theres gold coming your way keep on the beach.

Didn’t sound right so I watched a YT video, the GPX has definite drops on iron and high kicks in the tone over good targets , very similar to the Excal.

Cherry pick the good targets first, then go back for the iron :wink:

Yeah that’s what I usually do. My iron reject is set to max, so I get a blanking sound.

I don’t know the GPX, but having the Fe disc up that high…would that not start thinning out the small golds? I know it does on the ATP

I usually detect a wide area and mark the iron targets with a circled cross then dig them last.
As for soil targets I dig a triangle plug.
I have Iron reject up so high, because some targets are quite deep and don’t indicate as iron until I dig down a little. Also It’s handy for identifying large chunks of iron especially concrete (reinforced).
I’ve dug enough huge iron targets in the past - over it :sweat:

Could be a new comp :smiley: I’ll enter the Morris 12 engine block I found a few years back

1 Like

HAHAHAHA, you’ve no idea how close to the truth you are.
Around our farm there are burried tractors, I pitty the detectorist that tries to dig them up in the future.

Lol if I see any rust in the hole I’m off running :running_man:t3::running_man:t3: and fast!

Hate to think how many of these I have abandoned :flushed:

1 Like

…Then you might have walked straight past the gold ring I lifted which had a rusty 3" nail passing through it - I kid you not!

3 Likes

Wow that’s random!
Yeh could well of walked on by :walking_man: alright, the little rust balls don’t scare me much :ghost:
It’s the big lumps of brown iron that make my eyes water :sob: the most.
Yes I know it’s a bad habit that I must stop :smiley:

ok,sorry didn,t know you had a gpx5000,you may want to consider a normal vlf/tr,detector for general detecting,great on coins and the like.

Yep, I’m meant to be hunting gold nuggets. Hence the title of my detecting page.
However the best and only decent thing I’ve found was a gold ring in a park last year (5g).

Hey man I new to detecting but just finished reading all the comments on this thread and would like to thank you all for the tips I picked out of them oh well its stopped raining here in northland so the hunt is on
Gl & HH

1 Like

Good luck out there @the_huntsman_nz and welcome. What are you swinging?

1 Like

Ohhh I’ve only got a cheap one cple hundred bux worth…but im definetly looking to upgrade in the very near future I think mine only detects rubbish ahaha…

Mind due if I don’t upgrade soon I’m doing our country a favour cleaning it up one beep at a time…

Good luck and happy hunting

3 Likes

That beach you show in the aerial photo is a good spot mist people seem to detect the main beach but I think the pissed yachties sitting on the tubes of their inflatable dinghies have seeded that inner beach with a lot of Goldies

I’ve just brought a cheap one from kogan for my husband to play around with. Reading these post I’m thinking we will need to save some money to get him an upgrade in the not too distance future. :slight_smile: