Kwikeiths west coast places

its a long story but a sad one there was colour but not much

the creek flows out from under the rock so maybe I get under there and find out whats there

4 Likes

working the bed rock got a good 3 grams from just sucking the rock surface

8 Likes

Me jellyarse…looks good country for a Gold bug.

my mate found a 1.6 gram nugget the other day up there

Now me is really jellyarse…I hopes it rains incessantly for forty daze and forty nights - your penance for making me jellyarse!

then I will get more flood gold. by the look of the weather forecast there isn’t much rain coming so my little creek will dry up I can only work it after a good rain

It is not perchance some old workings? Maybe a stope going down under the rock from past explorations?

The mossy side if the creek in the photo looks somewhat hand stacked

Yeah I thought the sides looked a bit stacked too.

MK

its stacked alright but its old. the creeks been worked so many times over the years but gold keeps coming down. one place I sucked to bed rock last year about 6 weeks ago I did it again and got more colour
if you are up there and find some legs dticking out from under a large rock help yourself to the boots I don’t think I will need them

They will not fit. take your bottle of Jack instead
i know where you are.keep it coming keith

1 Like

looks great up in there perfect for a ting dredge.

just another day in the office out in the rain

5 Likes

Hi Keith. Mmmmm the ole Denniston Plateau, Scoured that area many years back. Very patchy gold and more or less only in isolated spots. Not enough to keep me interested.
Know exactly where you are. See da clues in your pics. Been down there many years back, a mate of mine gave it a bit of a hammering, and another carted a 6 inch suitcase dredge down there.But like you he struggled for water. Did some dredging in the lower reaches, but not enough for me there either. Did have a lot of fun in at Stevensons, did a lot of dredging in there. Best day was half an ounce, but it too was as patchy as hell. Beautiful bedrock tho, full of drop off’s and crevices. The small flat adjacent to the old hut site at Stevensons, had a bit of gold on it. We did a bit of sluicing there whenever the creek was flooded. We really only went up there when the Buller was in flood and we couldn’t work our claim at Berlins. That was producing between an ounce to five ounces a day. So you can see why we found the Denniston Plateau a little bit to slim for us… But it sure was nice up there. Cheers Trev

1 Like

Me mate did a few trips up Deep Creek, To rugged for me. I had some old maps that showed the gold area’s. One of them was in a most unusual spot, right at the head of Deep Creek, and perched on a ridge at the top of the Waimangroa Valley. If you can ever find out where the " Whippet Track" on Denniston was. situated you are a better man than me. My research many years on gold occurrences at Denniston revealed that in the area of the old Whippet Track, a substantial amount of coarse gold nuggets were found, ranging in weights of up to 5 dwt. and quite a number of ounces were located. Did you know that up there on the hill there are Rainbow Trout in the Waimangaroa River and they spawn in the lower reaches of the creek you are in. I caught two one day in the shallows. They were released by the Westport Coal Company for the Directors to catch. The company had a lodge in the area which was for the hierarchy and Directors to use. Now that is a interesting bit of history. I don;t think Westand Fish and Game know about that occurrence.It kinda lays to rest the theory that trout cannot exist in a river with coal measures acid drain off. Cheers Trev

6 Likes

just to show I don’t spend all my time chasing goats and looking for gold. here’s my garden all 500m2

7 Likes

Hell thats just ‘too’ civilized! looks fantastic though and a credit to the owner…dont let that go to your head.

2 Likes

18 days in a row of no rain . nothing on the radar for another 8 to 10 days , creeks are dry on gold fever has set in real bad. even the deer and goats are noy coming out in the midday sun

1 Like

Great dredging weather hope it stays like this 15 grams in the last 4 days

1 Like

the creek ive been playing in has completely dried up . so personally I’m looking for some rain. even my garden is drying out, never mind going up the head of the mackley river Monday to see if we can find the old bridge that use to cross over. there is an old road in there but its pretty over grown . will take the pan just for something to do. will let you all know how it goes