I've been scrapping

They are called Gem Irons - to make French Gem cakes. Regular cake recipe + golden syrup and some spices; ginger, apple spice etc
They preheated the tins for fast cooking, probably to serve warm, for on the fly entertaining - as was the rage back in the olden times.

Probably the same stuff they use for the junk jewellery at the street markets.
Throw some shavings in an envelope and send it up, I’ll tell you what’s in there. Just need a pinch.
(Chuck a couple of those muffins in as well :drooling_face: )

GoldPandemic can you please stop posting photos of fresh baking!!..mmmmmmmmm fresh muffins…dam you!!!
LOL

1 Like

but I like a muffin.

Hey I like them as well - they are like ice creams - you love licking the really nice flavours longest. Chocolate muffins with cream are a special treat.Honey muffins and morning glory muffin can certainly satiate the desire for muffin as well. Cream cheese muffins can be a bit of a put off but Triple Chocolate chunk muffins can put you off for ever!

Right I am inspired - I am off muffin hunting…your fault Keith!

1 Like

No. This is not jewelery pewter or from cups/plates. I found a different 20th century source, the colour is very close to pure tin, pewter with lead or arsenic have a different shine.
I want to figure out resistance testing - then I can finally identify all these other strange alloys I have laying around!
I plan to purify the Tin with electrolysis, then I’ll determine the exact composition!

First atempt at a smaller size.

Now that the brick is totally dry the Pewter comes up very shiney. However pouring a tiny portion is not easy. Looks like I’ll have to cut this one out - then I’ll have the exact amount to pour. Due to the tiny size mould is a bit rough & not easy to get a clean cut smooth finish. Though I kind of like the look. I may end up making a mould from iron.
More tomorrow morning…

3 Likes