Gold Panning and Gold Detecting

Kia Ora Everyone

Wheres the best rivers close to Christchurch to take my family gold panning for a day trip?

There’s unfortunately nothing that close to Christchurch (that I know of…) but you could try Goldsborough. Lots of fine gold there and good camping facilities if you would like to stay the night. It’s a public fossicking area not far away from Hokitika.

1 Like

Slab Hut Creek just past Reefton is your other closest spot .

2 Likes

Wow that’s a great first post …hey y,all wheres ya best spots :joy: , maybe there needs to be a bit of a compulsory intro page ?

3 Likes

yea if I told you where I go I would have to poke your eyes out

6 Likes

Ha thanks guys :blush: yeh i gave goldsborough a go on the way back from Hokitika for a couple hours, had abit of fun and a laugh with the Bro

3 Likes

Also heard theres gold in the Taipo and Taramakau.

Hey Kiwibro …good going mate…so there is 18 gold fossicking areas within 4 hours drive from you many with camping of some sort …if you search through subject titles in this forum each fossicking area is listed with comments and photos to give you an idea of where to look…good luck bro!!
cheers Mal

2 Likes

Thanks Bro will have a geez around. the wifey hates long drives so mite be a few lone wolf trips for me

You could try up the Wilberforce Valley past Lake Coleridge. Could be worth trying any of the creeks up there

1 Like
1 Like

The hairs on the back of my neck were raised somewhat there keithy , I mean if it was anyone else who said that I wouldn’t worry to much I reckon I could dodge 8 fingers no trouble but 10 & a banjo heading my way simultaneously is another story :woozy_face:

1 Like

be very afraid there pete the boggy man is out there and ties grown men to trees and makes them squeal like pigs.

but don’t forget that panning or even looking for gold in any place other than fossicking areas is illegal

1 Like