Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment Permit Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive

Full time dredger

Who is lucky enough to dredge full time. What do you think your overheads would be like say need 5 oz a year to pay for claim fees wear and tear on hoses etc etc. Then 5 to 10 oz for gas food travel to site accommodation if needed etc etc So rufely need like 10 to 15 oz a year in cost then rest is wages. How have people planned or set up there operations

I dredge for 3 months a year. Doing between 120 and 200 hours on motors. I run a 5in proline. Fuel costs are about $5-$8 and hour. I need about 2 oz to cover all permit and PLI costs. I live on site for those 3 months and so far have only needed a few repairs. Bank $500 a year for those and you should be good if your not to rough on your gear. If you can’t average a gram an hour your not going to be able to Do it full time and make money.

3 Likes

I often thought about going full time, my job props up my dredging for sure, not saying it cant b done but youd want to have real low over heads , always seems to b spanners thrown in like breakdowns or river conditions and injury, but I keep going back cause the potential is there and I have goldfever lol, I will spend 2 months solid plus weeends on my claim , and yes I run a 5 inch to and anything under a gram an hour and your going backwards

3 Likes