From Gold to Greenstone

Hi Team!

Feels like it was ages ago since I posted something here lol. As the title suggests I’m going to take a break from the panning and hopefully find myself some greenstone. I have no experience in gemstone hunting so some advice would be great :+1:t2: Currently in Greymouth and will keep traveling up along the coast :nerd_face:

Cheers :beers:

1 Like

not sure what there is around greymouth but there is greenstone in the hokitika area. stay clear of the arahura river though. that’s maori territory. had a few small bits on the beach at greymouth but a lot of serpentine to. I went with a rockhound mate. I didn’t have a clue what it looked like other than its not green until u cut it or unless its a small piece that has had the coating rubbed off it.

2 Likes

Cobden beach and rapahoe beach

1 Like

Thanks guys! Will be checking out those places for sure. I’m really keen to find some :nerd_face: Not really sure what I’m looking for, but I’ve heard that greenstone finds you and not the other way around, so I guess we’ll see what happens :wink:

1 Like

Follow this link to Mindat a WWW database of sources of minerals. Greenstone (Pounamu in NZ) is otherwise named Nephite.

This site gives links to some photos of raw specimens and some locations near Greymouth & Hokitika

1 Like

Goldenboy, try 10 mile beach north of rapahoe. it was the best beach for me. look for scalloped shapes and walk parrellel with the waves along the beach profile, include the band around the mid-high water mark.

rub any stone on your nose/neck for oils. rule of thumb is, if you are unsure whether its greenstone or serpentinite, then it is almost certainly serp and toss it away… greenstone will feel waxy.

if you cant find any, message me and I will post you some.

1 Like

Thanks for some awesome advice! See if I get down that way again before heading up North to look for a job. Went passed there yesterday, but the weather was just too crazy for any fossicking… I’m in Mokihinui at the moment, Gentle Annie, beautiful place to stay! Where are you based mate?
:blush:

1 Like

You might have a better chance looking for a job in the South Island - they have lower unemployment down there.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry, I meant up the northern parts of South Island. Don’t think I’ll make it to the North Island anyway, kinda like it here :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

you’re not missing much…

1 Like

The top layer is quartz, the bottom layer (heaviest) is Limonite with tiny pyrite crystals. There is gold, possibly silver.

2 Likes

In reply to Mangroves comment. Probably wouldn’t get a visa after associating with the likes of those down there

4 Likes

Just an ordinary day in the bush of the South Island :joy:

I went to Hokitika Beach yesterday to have a go and today Rapahoe Beach. Also made a few stops on the beaches along the way back up to Westport, but all I could find was serpentine and quarts lol :roll_eyes: I think I’ll stick to gold mining in the future, at least I know how to find gold… :joy: It’s a shame though, I was hoping to find something.

2 Likes