Cosmo's finds enjoy

Good going there Mr Cosmo. Used to be one of my fav spots in the trees around there, before the earthquakes anyway.

Don’t suppose you’ve found Karl’s buried treasure? I know the rough area but the ground has been piled up since a lot of the trees came down.

1 Like

No I have not found Karl’s treasure although I have herd of it. It’s a great spot I got my first British half crown there.

1 Like

Out last evening after work got a few finds. Can’t find any information on silver badge as of yet , 4 thrups and a NZ railway button front. HH&GL.

2 Likes

Well done! Do you ever come home without a coin? :joy:

What region are you in? Might help identify that trophy badge, it’s a great piece.

-edit- Looks like the Auckland Indoor Bowling Centre, they use the A.I.B.C in their Newsletter.

Here is one of their Newsletters and it has a picture from the late 60’s

https://www.sporty.co.nz/asset/downloadasset?id=70fffa8b-16ee-43bb-ae69-f5b824224bcb

However there is no Mathison in their hall of hame, which one would probably expect if there is a trophy named after them.

https://www.sporty.co.nz/asset/downloadasset?id=27fb40be-e5c3-4826-8241-32b2f28f4327

1 Like

Yes I have had hunts with out a single coin and a bag of trash but not that often. I am in Christchurch, I go to parks that date from 1840’s to 1920’s for best results. Thanks for the information will check it out after work. HH&GL.

1 Like

hi cosmo that’s a nice new Zealand railway button they are always good to find! nice silver to! h/h

1 Like

Nice one, contacted the council down here in Dunedin and they have said no to any council owned parks/grounds which was a bit of a downer :frowning:

The Dunedin Parks were well done over a fair while ago - not by me but by others - four guys I k now more or less hoovered them clean. I suspect therefore that other than spendies you are not missing out on much. Even places like Evansdale Glen and Whare Flat were done pretty well by me as long ago as 1980.

3 Likes

Yeah fair enough, I did have a go before they got back to me and found nothing but trash … Been bush hunting last couple nights, I feel a bit creepy rustling around in the bush in the dark :sweat_smile:

Not to mention those possum noises creep me out.

1 Like

I am originally from Dunedin myself only moved here 7 years ago for work. I keep thinking about st clair years back when the sand got stripped leaving only rock’s, wish I was detecting then. Still has to be some good spots there … outram maybe.

Thanks Steptoe only my second one, find more military buttons not that I’m complaining.

1 Like

there must be more at whare flat its the one place I have never hunted there is always something left to find you just have to try hard!

Absolutely but I sure skimmed the cream of the place - last three times I went back in the last ten years zilch, nada, nothing. When I first went there it was nicely mown along the road side and great places to park beside the stream but that all got neglected and its either overgrown with tyre ruts and muddy patches or flooded over with silt.

I must go for a good look one day might be worth a look this time of year as the grass will be a bit lower

Have you had a look around this lammerlaw?

Not with a detector if its where I think it is. Back years ago I think there was the remains of an old dray or wagon close by there but not sure now.

1 Like

Out today at a new spot for me. Had a few good finds and got some shiny. HH&GL

Earring maybe.

5 Likes

Awesome stuff man!! Definitely worth another look.

1 Like

Thanks soilsurfer, found no Vicky stuff but Edward popped up so could be some decent stuff there.

good on yer cosmo…

1 Like