Cosmo's finds enjoy

Heard ya yelling from up here look forward to seeing the next

1 Like

first of many…well deserved.

1 Like

Nice Gold Cosmo Well done. It looks like it was pretty deep too?

1 Like

Thanks fisher man it was about 8 inches deep.

What detector are you swinging?

1 Like

He’s using the nox 800, just went through his great finds :slight_smile:

What were you using before the nox @CosmoCoinage? Ace 300i?

1 Like

Well done on the Goldie Cosmo, still on my " still to find list " ! It will happen one day i’m sure.A couple of other nice finds as well. Good shit.

1 Like

I was swinging a garrett 300i before I got the nox, ok machine but useless on wet sand.

Thanks x terra. You will get there just keep digging those pull tab signals that one was just like a beaver tail.

Out after work tonight not much to be had but found my first Vicky farthing dated 1880.

Happy hunting and good luck out there.

4 Likes

Nice score. Farthings in general seem to be few and far between in peoples finds anyway!

1 Like

Thanks and very true Gavin I have found only 3 so far the other 2 are George 5th.

good score,that site goes back aways

1 Like

@gavin I think the apparent low incidence of farthings is because they get chucked in the scrap bucket with the 2c pieces

1 Like

Have you found many mudwiggle? Do you mean people don’t care about them or miss id them?

I think they are the same size as a 2 cent.

A farthing was a quarter of a penny (ie 1 cent). The smallest denomination coin I have heard of found in NZ was a half farting found at Waikouaiti - that is eight to the penny! But wait theres more yet - buy the vacuum cleaner and get a lifetimes supply of free condoms - Oops bugger wrong thread! The Half farthing was not the smallest British coin - they also had one third farthings (12 to the penny or cent) and also one quarter farthings or 16 to the penny (cent) - by todays standards you would think it was centless to have such small denominations but I guess they kept the natives and peasants happy!
A great find though - you have done well.

i can remember as a kid my grandmother calling young children " mites" i asked her what she ment she said it was a tiny coin less than a farthing,never seen one to this day…

A Mite goes back to bible days - from the bible the ‘Widows mite’ - when I get home I will try to find one to put a photo up as I have onehere…somewhere.

1 Like

Meant that I think most people would, at a glance when emptying the days takings, mis-ID them as 2 cents.
Only ever found one, and that was when I was checking the 1’s and 2’s scrap sack when I heard about the Bahama mule. Ever since then I’ve always verified every 2 cent - probably never dig another farthing according to the Law of Murphy though and now doomed to pay too much time squinting at manky 2c pieces… :slight_smile:

2 Likes