Confessions from a Newbie Swinger

Just a few weeks ago I was unpacking my first detector which was purchased mainly to give me another option when out sluicing for those gold flakes. Then came my invite to join this community (thanks @gavin ) and then the 10 cent competition (thanks @lggy) This has been my first week out in the field and I must say seeing the pic’s on show and tell here were very encouraging for a newbie. (thanks all)
My detector manual says the key to successful operation is – hard work, patience and research and up to 100 hours of operation before the operator is fully experienced. Tha’ts a tall order for a hobby, but I think I’m up for it. After many hours of reading, watching dvd’s on detecting in the field and just 12 hours of operation I have learnt the following.
Ensure the coil and earphones connections are tight when assembling, check after first few hours.
A nearby country rugby club ground breeds bottle caps and not much else
Beach hunting can be very social
Can tabs and foil drink bottle seals are a pain in the ear
If like me you wear glasses do not peer into hole close up when using pin pointer, you may dig a very deep hole when the target was on your face all the time !!
Your wife may become addicted on first outing and want to accompany you on every trip. :couplekiss:
I had hoped I would have had a pic to post on the 10 cent competition, however it was not to be this time. :cry: However I have had a lot of fun and this treasure hunting with my Dora (my detector not my wife) is a real hoot fun time way to spent way too much time.
Most of my targets were found on a large public sports ground where spectators stand, 3 coins were close to a picnic table down 6 inches. The key holder found in sand at beach and is my favourite. If anyone can id the punched copper item (top left) with 4 corner tabs I would be very grateful, was found in my garden.

3 Likes

Hi nuggetned,yeah looks like youre getting the hang of things.Strange item could be an old Chinese ornament, or possibly a piece of a cake stand,found one similar at a 1850 s cottage here in Canterbury.Dig those high tones and scratchy signals.Did the pipe fitting come up as a high tone,sometimes large rusty items do.keep at it and good luck for your next hunt.

Great post @nuggetned, pleased to hear you’ve been out and about having fun, which is what it’s all about :smiley:
Keep at it, the great stuff will come when you least expect it.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the possible id, it is paper thin. The rusty pipe came in at 53, I had iron audio on and it gave a very loud strong tone over a large area, just had to see what it was. Thanks for your god luck wishes. :smiley:

Thanks leggy, it really is exciting digging to make that discovery. After trying a few locations I have found one that is looking good, roll on next competition. :money_mouth:

1 Like

My guess for the thin mystery object is that it is part of a mobile or wind chime and that it might be a Chinese pictograph.

Thanks for your thoughts, I think you may well be correct.