COMPETITION North Island Vs South Island - EXTENDED

I’ll give it a clean up tomorrow and take a pic in some better light. The engraved back is silver and the round bit on the ring looks like gold. Not sure if it’s missing a side but it did have some glass covering the note…I had a good scan around for it and the chain it might have been on!

@chris that is a great condition half crown there!

@soilsurfer Vacuuming up those silver!!

Don’t worry about the dates, so many of you have multiple coin finds that there won’t be a tie.

Ok here’s the locket put up as a separate entry with some better photos. Its got a bit of everything… Gold, Silver (No hallmarks but I’m pretty confident) and gilded base metal. Its possible there’s something behind the silver back but I’m not gonna risk it. The thing I’m most surprised about is how well the paper has survived!!

5 Likes

Even more stunning in these pics. Beautiful piece.

Yes it’s amazing the paper survived.
Was the lid slightly corroded on, or entombed in dirt??

That locket is friggin awesome, great find. The inscription just makes it even more unique.
Keep on swingin !!

Yeah I’m not sure if anything was on the open side apart from glass over the note if that’s what you mean? I’m not really keen on trying to pry open the rest of it

1 Like

Yes more swinging is defiantly needed!! Especially in my last hunting spot!!! whoop whoop!

Went out for a hunt last night which turned into a four hour walk was hard going and not to many finds but still found these the military badge was a surprise find

4 Likes

Nice lot of finds, well done. The badge is a great find. Good to get something a bit out of the ordinary.Nice mixed bag of coins as well. At least when the going is hard you,re really pleased when you do hit a good target !!
Keep on swingin !!

1 Like

just a few more

1 Like

@chris Better than me - find of the day was a .22 casing :disappointed: Mind you, I’m tempted to start collecting crushed wine screw caps with todays haul!

1 Like

Haha my pet hate this week is that foil from chocolate money thought I had gold twice … hitting the river in the morning if your keen …meet a old boy last Sunday in waders he had a handfull of silvers

1 Like

@steptoeandson Nice military badge!

@chris Looks like you got all the 10 cents!

1 Like

Probably the last lot from my one of my favourite places that I hunt. The fun Police cornered me and asked what I was up to and did I have permission to be doing what I was doing. I had received permission from a number of staff but that wasn,t good enough for this clown, the long and short of it is that they haved banned any metal detecting in this public domain whatsoever. Even though the guy agreed that I was carefully replacing the plugs and I wasn,t doing any harm the heirachy still had to come down with the big authority club and bash me around with it !!
It really makes my blood boil but can,t really do much about it, onwards and upwards I suppose.
Anyway enough of my ranting heres my finds
6 pence 1947
2 cent 1976, 1974
1 cent 1978, 1967
Aussie 1/2 penny 1911
Nice 925 silver childs bracelet
crap ring
small phillips screwdriver
The sprinkler was an unexpected find, goes to show they watered gardens in the early 1900,s just like now!!

2 Likes

Nice lots of goodies there XTG…sounds like you’ve done everything right at your hunting site…permission gained, treating the place with respect, did this guy work there? or just someone out for a sunday stroll in his park? You did the right thing by walking but I’d be going back to the person who gave you permission.

1 Like

Yeah the dude worked there, he put me onto his boss who then had to run it by his boss etc, etc. Thinkin I will go to the big waller and talk with him about why it’s a no go.
What’s the deal regarding this in the likes of Hagley Park and other councils reserved ?
Has anyone else experienced this same thing ?
I just might have to get sneaker. LOL :joy:

Throwing some heavy artillery into the pot for Team Te Ika a Maui - A tube of Colt 45, with the bang still inside. Manufactured by Federal Cartridge. Modern wadcutter round.

And beside a puny .22

And while it’s no match for SoilSurfers locket, I’ll beef up the gold entries with a really wee 9Ct plain band, cunningly slipped out from a neighbours patch, Eh Chris? :wink:
Note Sixpence for scale!

@X-TerraGold - Bugger about getting drummed out! That spot was being really good to you. Suggest maybe waiting until a new Council / Board comes online, then try approaching them again. I had a similar experience, except I never even got the chance to hunt the (really juicy) permission before someone on the board decided they’d changed their mind. (wonder if they knew someone who detected…?). I just wait patiently for a certain name to be replaced on the committee.

1 Like

The sprinker is a great find. I love that crap ring too :slight_smile:

That kind of heavy handedness only encourages nighthawking.
It will be detected, you have the option of deciding who does it, the good guys, or the bad guys:

Probably my last entry

3 Likes