Canaan downs gold

Hey yeah last time I went that far up there was haven’t been back an got my feet wet since it went under claim, half the fun of getting out golding is in the adventure and walk, most of the time I just keep walking and end up doing little sluicing, the pot of gold is always around the next corner ha ha :smiley:

I agree totally! I love fossicking and exploring and I also just have to know whats around the corner or whats over the next hill. Yesterday I spent not dredging but exploring the old workings. Interesting things to be found!

1 Like

Next time ya go up would be keen to tag along for a walk in the park

I would be very keen as well! Not too many places to go detecting around Blenheim. Happy to pay a percentage of what I find, whatever works for you :blush: Just want to be out there and swing my detector lol.

Here’s some tiny nuggets from Saturday’s mission. Can’t say where I went though, since it’s not “my spot”, but let’s say it’s roughly in the same area. Far away from anyone’s claim :innocent:

Cheers

7 Likes

I’m always keen for a detect up there went camping there in the weekend was a great weekend away. I love in motueka so not far away either. Feel free to give me a message!

Did you camp at Jubilee Flat?

Looks a bit like Top Valley gold :slight_smile: Give me a call sometime. Cheers Les 0279187600

2 Likes

I can neither confirm nor deny lol :wink: I will for sure, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hej Elias. Just curious. Did you find those nice little chunks in the river or up on the banks. Need some tips as I haven’t had much luck yet😢

Cheers

Torbjorn

1 Like

Torb- there are 3 places to detect for gold- bedrock,bedrock and bedrock. Any decent detectable gold will always go as deep as it can and that usually means, you guessed it- bedrock. Look for crevices, cracks, anywhere gold can fall into and not get out. If you are finding lead gold will not be far away- the heavy stuff tends to drop out together. YouTube is your friend- there are a lot of videos on there to give you some tips- try Two Toes channel for a start.

1 Like

Overdog said it lol. Bedrock is your best friend :+1:t2: Pretty much all my detected gold has been found in bedrock crevices. I’ve got some videos on my Facebook you can check out - Elias Dronten Wärlinge.

Where are you based? I’m in Blenheim for another month and would be keen to go for a detect sometime if you want some company.

Torbjörn? May I ask if your ancestors were from Sweden :smirk: Do you speak any Swedish? :sweden:

Cheers

Thanks for tip. I’ll check out your Facebook vids. I’m living in Nelson. I’m Half Swedish half Kiwi. Lived in Stockholm for 9 years. I’m married to a girl from Karlskrona. If you are over this way come for a coffee or beer 0278268598

Cheers

1 Like

We camped in the car park at Harwood hole

Sorry Kirsty, I thought you meant you camped near Armchair Stream or Top Valley

Where to next on the golden boys adventures? You going to that other country- the north island ha ha?

1 Like

Ah, cool. If I’m heading your way I’ll make sure to swing by :slight_smile: Good luck with your detecting.

Cheers

Nope, will stick to the South Island (and the gold lol). Will head back to West Coast once I’m finished at work, in about three weeks :sunglasses: Going to travel down South to do some serious digging and hopefully meet some cool people along the way :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Are there many opportunities for panning in the area? We have always stuck to the designated fossicking sites but since we moved up to Motueka, really disappointed with the location up the Aorere - so many large rocks before you even find the gravel. We are relatively new to panning but had some nice luck in Murchison area - just so far to travel each weekend. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Lisa

Should look at the permit maps,there are a few claims near you…look em up…find contact details n ring claim owner up and ask if you can have a pan…suppose to be some good gold near you.Mal

2 Likes

Had a good look on the map - found names and basic boundaries but not getting much in google searches for contact details. Am I missing a trick?
Thanks for the reply btw:)