Canaan downs gold

Hi. First post here. Recently bought myself a Tesoro lobo supertraq. I’ve had a bit of a play with it up the Wakamarina river. Someone told me gold was found up near Canaan downs on the Takaka hill? I’ve searched the net looking for any info about it but nothing comes up. Has anyone tried detecting up there?

1 Like

Hi, I’m not familiar with the area but if you look on Papers Past website you’ll find some interesting articles on mining around the Wakamarina River.

1 Like

3 Likes

Thanks Marty.
I found alot of info on the Canvastown gold rush but nothing on any Takaka hill finds. I really want to get up in the hills where it wasn’t so extensively mined. Might even look into Mt Arthur.

try looking over the hill in the armchair

1 Like

Hi.
Where is the armchair?

its on the west bank of the Wairau river, take the top valley road and head into the hills it drains mt Richmond eastern side. just check to make sure its not under claim. there was a lot of gold workings up there.

1 Like

Cheers mate. I’ll look into it :+1:

Be very aware: It is the “Devils Arm Chair”

HH

2 Likes

be awear that part of the devils arm chair creek is under claim

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll bring a gun. :wink:

Was up that way in the weekend access is pretty good they been logging up there recently, top valley stream is pretty low so the river crossing is easy the whole middle stretch is under claim lots of old timers sign Davis creek part would be worth a swing maybe

2 Likes

Hi Torb. Had a play up on the downs a few years back but all I found was the broken end of a screwdriver in a crevice… gold has been found up there just not by me lol…

1 Like

I might give it a try at some stage👍

I have the claim on the Armchair

Isn’t there a locked gate blocking access?

I won’t go on any claims. I’ll check first :+1:

1 Like

You only have to ask Torb. I’m in there almost every weekend if you wish to try some detecting

3 Likes

Wow thanks Les☺ I’m not often over that way. But I would love to come and have a try sometime.

0279187600 Cheers Les

2 Likes