Button help please

Hi all we have not been out for ages but had a quick swing yesterday and found some good stuff this button was good but I can’t work out what it is any help would be great thanks it has honi soit qui maly Pense around it and er in the middle something on the bottom but I can’t read it

2 Likes

Well it’s Lizzie the Second, so no older than 1950s.

I’d say possibly Police?

1 Like

Yes I was thinking something like that?

Liddybit the second post 1953. Will be military. Honi soit qui mal y pense means ‘Evil be to he who evil thinks’ or 'Shamed be he who thinks evil of it’
That’s as good as I can come up with at the moment due to copious quantities of Auckland whisky! HIC!

2 Likes

Yes interesting! I hope the head it ok this morning after all that whiskey lammerlaw!

Yes its OK but determined to finish the bottle before I leave here…hell I can’t leave a half full bottle for someone else to finish. Funny you should mention the whiskey though as I just had about a seven ounce glass full before flying back to Auckland.

Not police, I used to have an old police uniform coat, until a police man stole it off me, the bottons on that were embossed with a over lapping nzp symbol with the laurels around the outside edge and the button was black.

1 Like

It is likely just a regular blazer button imitation.

It is a regular military uniform button…no second choice because that is exactly what it is.

Sweet thanks for the info it’s strange I can’t find anything about it! Have you finished that bottle of whiskey yet?:dizzy_face:

All gone tonight when I go to socialize with friends…unless I drop dead or die in the saddle between now and then.

Perhaps you would take a look at this similar button Lammerlaw.
Need to scroll down to the 2nd from the bottom.

MK

2 Likes

I note that the person describing the button says Royal Engineers and some RE uniforms in modern times may have had these buttons but I do not know for sure. His description also states that he thinks that it is WWII I would say to look closely…does it not say R II E
That would mean Elizabeth Regina II SO Queen Liddybit DA second!

1 Like

“Honi soit qui mal y pense” are French words that you’ll find on Britain’s royal coat of arms, on the cover of British passports, in British courtrooms and elsewhere of note. But why does this Middle French expression appear in weighty official uses in Britain?
Origins of ‘Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense’

These words were apparently first uttered by England’s King Edward III in the 14th century. At that time, he reigned over a part of France, and the language spoken at the English court, among the aristocracy and clergy, and in courts of law was Norman French, as it had been since the time of William the Conqueror of Normandy, starting in 1066.

2 Likes