Back out on the river

And a door nob

2 Likes

Nice old silver Chris well done. Brass door nobs good signal got 2 myself this week lol.

Managed to get most of date 18?2

2 Likes

You got the 18… that’s the important bit.

1 Like

Out at first light first hole wee silver… love finding those mint pennies in the mud the 303 cartridge marked 1941

6 Likes

Didn’t have a lot of time this morning (scollop time)
happy with a silver and a couple of bucks

2 Likes

And one for you lammerlaw

3 Likes

Hey me jellyarse…not fair…hope it bites ya on the bum…I still want to catch one and have never had the chance!

Last December I tried off the cliffs up there but all I got was snags and lost untold lead. The only way I like losing lead is when I am fighting off charging killer rabbits

Three different shotgun shell bases…all 1950s plus vintage. Standard Heavy were green cardboard cases and Long Range were usually blue and also made after Standard Heavies had gone off the market. The other base might be earlier than them. They had felt wads so no plastic concentrator wads like today. I love the smell of the gun powder they used…great stuff…I used to walk along behind dad with one up to each boggy hole sniffing them…better than sniffing petrol!
Now for the .303 case…VERY interesting because it has not been fired out of a rifle…it has been fired out of a Bren light machine gun! I well recognize the Bren firing pins distinctive signature strike mark.
Love the silvers…every time I see them I get jellyarse that I am not out there looking.
Keep up the good work…always enjoy seeing these treasures and they all tell a story.

1 Like

Are those notchs every 15 minutes by primer done by bren bolt face?

Far out not sure what that means…have a look at the photo of the .303 shell case and you will see that its not a round standard firing pin strike but instead it is a large rectangle shape with rounded ends and covers half the width of the primer…I know them well having been trained to use the Bren back last century…last century last century…bugger I am old and feel it!

1 Like

Thanks good to know. When you were using the bren was the neck of the case crimped have seen some old vickers belts all the rounds had crimp marks at the neck. My old man told me they did that because the force of the rounds being pulled in could separate case from projectile.

Now we are getting technical. Most military cartridges had line crimps up to one quarter of an inch down from the case mouth. For around fifty years that crimp consisted of three short line crimps evenly spaced around the case. These line crimps could be from 2/16ths of an inch each through to nearly a 1/4 of an inch each. Some of these crimps were however as little as 3/32 of an inch below the top of the case.
Very rarely a solid line crimp went right around the neck of the case generally a little less than a quarter of and inch down.
Some cases later on were crimped with a solid crimp right at the top of the case. This crimp went right around.
In a Bren gun the projectiles could not come out due to recoil or any other factor as they had a box magazine.

1 Like

1 Like

If the letters are WRA then it will be a Winchester and the 1941 will mean that it is a military loading and dated 1941. The four ‘stab’ crimps on the base are to ensure that the primers do not pop out so that they were more reliable. All military ammunition or nearly all had crimped primers but in 99 percent of cases they were ring crimped right around the primer annulus…if all that sounds a bit anal then thems the breaks.

1 Like

This afternoons mission was something old something gold sort of managed both 1920 brit penny with a bullet hole a 9k yellow/rose gold ring
13 two cent pieces from basically the same 1 me hole (stolen milk money maybe)

4 Likes

Nice work on the gold ring Chris. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple pennies with gun shot holes on here…not knowing a lot about firearms but seems a small target for back in the day? Or maybe shot on the ground at close range?

1 Like

Probably lammerlaw aftrer a snapper

2 Likes

gold is always good,nice score

1 Like