Back out on the river

First pic came from Whangarei central should polish nice second from washed out beach heart stopper but pretty sure brass

2 Likes

Any writing or image on second piece?

Looks like you are into heavy metal there Chris. Nice one.

HH

1 Like

Hi Cosmo no writing or marks

Back to washed out beach in search of gold no more than 100mm of sand till hard pan. The beach is no more than 300m2 and is a short bush walk from a busy motel. anyway no gold😫 a V8 junk ring and a few coins.will have to get a bit wet next time

2 Likes

its a wonder we dont get lead poisoning lol

1 Like

Went down on the low to a spot on the river I’ve tried a few times and got the old coin nothing old but had a feeling there should be a bit of gold there …and sure was chunky 9c with diamond now got it home and gave it a rub as you do and the FN thing broke in half😵

3 Likes

what a bugger its the high content of copper in 9ct gold. heat it till cherry red then dunk it in water to anneal it before trying to clean it it will work harden when you take 600 wet and dry to polish finish with dremmel and polish of choice.

Thanks Roy got a local sliversmith who’s going to repair for a few$$ it’s the second one to do it on me both came sand more exposed to oxygen so makes sense

Back to the same part of the river today with me 9 year old boy once he sees gold he’s keen as a few coins to keep us both happy

4 Likes

A bugger about the ring but I guess it must be the salt in the water setting up an acidic reaction in the copper of the amalgum. I never knew it happened like that so guess I have learnt something.

1 Like

Finally got the xcal repaired just in time for a week’s holiday on a property that was a ww11 camp :grin: took it out for a test run this morning thought the bloody was kaput again the phones were that quiet managed a1915 penny
And eyeballed a narrow bowl clay pipe…good luck for the new year

6 Likes

Wow, that’s an old pipe - could even pip the 1700’s

Something different. Are the marks on the bowl just handling wear or chips? Be interesting to get a date on it too.

MK

It’s an early pipe to be sure. I doubt that they are handling marks on the bowl as a clay pipe is handled by the stem when in use as the bowl gets extremely hot. Cly pipes were a fairly disposable item pretty much the equivelent of todays cigarette butts. Generally speaking the smaller the bowl the earlier the pipe except for the Dutch ones.

2 Likes

Thought it might have a bit of age thanks for the pic

Day 1 at WW2 camp started very slow ( I’m only allowed 1 hr a day) I started at the area around the cookhouse which I’ve done and started to spread out
First good target was a Brit half penny then a yank 1c a bit of webbing and so on
Then hello 14 K USMC ring missing it stone (marked hole) will return tomorrow with sive

7 Likes

That’s a great hour Chris well done, hope you find the stone.

gold is always good…

That is an awesome find Chris Good luck with the stone