Back out on the river

Today’s job was across the road from a beach with quite a bit of erosion so had a smoko hunt very worn 46 trup only silver …funny my work mates were amazed with the coins and have taken them to show there kids

3 Likes

I’ve found so many of those damned tractor/truck valves! The ‘old’ decimals aren’t seen in public these days, so seem to be something of a novelty to non-diggers. I enjoy handing one of the original decimals to a kid (with parents consent these days :roll_eyes:) and saying that it’s older than their mum/dad :laughing:

2 Likes

Bit of a land hunt this morning turn of the century farmhouse just about every promising tone was a leadhead not a single coin to be found still it was a shot

2 Likes

I think that the object marked 3865 the lid of an oiler for a windmill - if I am right then it would possibly be either a Hercules or a Samson. If the rest of the windmill was in the gorse or where ever then they are great finds - fantastic garden ornaments and getting valuable as well.

The family that has the place now remember as kids (mid 50s ) now playing in what was left of the house … shooting old bottles with slingshots I’ll chuck a close up of the tag I found got me curious

I think you’ll find that dates to between 643 and 645… :rofl:

3 Likes

Been slim pickings lately the river is not producing much so headed a little north after an hour a chunk or two of lead found an Aussie penny missing the magical two dots

5 Likes

Had a hunt at smoko time on our local surf beach 1940 Aussie 925 and Brit 20p were a bonus

2 Likes

Ozzy looks cool.
I hope you find more florins.

1 Like

Pretty stoked on my first Cap badge and another Jews harp

4 Likes

Nice badge Chris it looks in great nick.

1 Like

Bloody fantastic - jellyarse of the badge its a cracker.

1 Like

Gave the penny a bit of a scrub and not sure what you call it (miss strike) but George,s bust silhouette visible on the “tails” side and the indentation on the “heads” quite thicker

1 Like

hi ,seen a lot of his pennys like that must have been a batch that was brought here.dont think every year coin was purchased by the nz treasury back then,maybe got that batch and they had enough in circulation.

Bugger thought I had a one off😁

Yes they must be reasonably common as I have seen a few - now I am rushing of to my penny hoard to check! I tried to look in British catalogues but nothing there about them.

I have noted that some of the recent dollar pieces have small flaws - called cuds. Worth keeping an eye open for - I got this in change the other day. The cud on it is huge though. The small ones are so common that out of a hundred or so $1 pieces I have got ten or so! This one is worth between $30 to $60.

2 Likes

I have a bag of 1967 50c coins with a dot over the date…was told they were worth a bit

Yes I have a lot of them as well - they estimate that 740,000 out of 10,000,000 had them and value depending on condition from $4 in VF condition to $25 in MS63

it got me thinking i have tried to get a penny set from ,well as early as ive found them apart from the odd george 111 and one or two copper vicky first bust they realy dont start kicking in untill 1860s and i still cannot get a full set even after that date, still some years that you never find and at one stage hagley was littered with them,some years are abundant dozens of them,they probably never brought some years in,bugger they never thought that some mad clowns might be serching for them,

1 Like

It’s got to the stage up here that any coin is a bonus🙄