Back out on the river

Finally found a snake buckle…the area had suffered flood damage with a lot of clay deposited from a slip which made detecting frustrating a silver 3p broke with a scratch from my fingernail

9 Likes

Had a crack at our local school, now it was founded around 1870 but so far oldest coins all around the 40,s there is a quite uniform 100mm layer of topsoil which leans towards filling around that time… luckily the caretaker is a mate and gives me the key to the gate anyway couple of stainless rings a 41 thrup a few coin spills of 1s an 2s

4 Likes

Did better than me - I mowed the lawn and washed the house :roll_eyes:

At least it cut down on the copper scrap :laughing:
I’d look at the edges and any banks/slopes, esp up towards the back of the property… Pinpointer along the base of the buildings where the coil can’t go

1 Like

It could be called cheating but last night work called they wanted our cleanfill site leaveled on the off chance I chucked the detector in the ute …there where 3 or 4 piles of old looking topsoil that I spread out and had a sweep mint 37 3d and magpies pin not to mention a lot off foil milk bottle tops funny I know the sound but I still dig them

4 Likes

thrup is a beaut,nice find

1 Like

Couldn’t find the rest but happy with the shilling while looking

5 Likes

you find some great items nice

1 Like

Love the shilling well done Chris.

1 Like

Getting some nice pieces recently.

1 Like

Ha nice to pull one after you and Roy striping the country of silver🙄

1 Like

A lot of work …just about given up on the river finds from the first xcal spot

shilling looks good, it would be nice to find a pocket watch that was silver or even better gold…they seem to be thin on the ground

Any ideas same weight as a sinker but not lead IMG_20180819_130132|281x500

it’s non-ferrous and very hard???

1 Like

Ball bearing…

Na not steel… gave it a light scratch and it’s like Ali but heavier

Ball bearings are chrome steel I think.

I’d say a muskie that’s been in just the right conditions to set up a solid passivation layer. What’s the diameter?

1 Like

It’s 15mm …

may be a lead substitute sinker i seem to remember something like tungsten putty

I found something similar in my last detect - still in my to sort junk pile.
Could be Antimony - sometimes it is mixed with lead, or used instead. Especially for home made (from scrap) fishing sinkers.

1 Like