Any gold been found in te anau?

Yes I sure have - after all these years I still keep in touch. She might devastate you as she had more pull than a suction dredge. Every now and again I phone her to see how she is and check that shes ok. I used to send her a few bob when she never had much - my way I guess of saying ‘thanks’ for the kindnesses she showed me…I could write a book about those days - ‘Mattress Annie Rides Again’

2 Likes

when the railcar ran through there if you told the diver they used to stop at points along the track for you to get off, then you could organize to get pick back up again.

when I had the motels in pathers ass the railway maintance boys used to stay with me and we used to go hunting with their railcar got the odd deer from time to time with the spot light.

the good old days…bring them back

1 Like

“hunting with their railcar” :slight_smile: :slight_smile: That’s a bit Barry Crump.

MK

great times im sure abit still goes on up there. one of our good mates is a banker driver there just talking to him yesterday after he had been out for a hunt and had some luck!

it was more those small trucks that run along the railway line able to stand on the deck and spot light

1 Like

“It was a small truck…”
Never let the facts get in the way of a good yarn :wink:

So there we were… the big 2-10-4 was barrelling down the line with no tail and we caught up with this stag that was spooked and running alongside the rails. Nige gave it a bit more steam and I hung out off the footplate in my shredded Swanni shouting at him to get more juice out of the old gal, laughing as branches whipped my face raw. We quickly caught up and I leapt off onto the deer, using the universal handbrake (grabbing its nuts) to stop it at the same time Nige hit the brakes. We cooked it up in the firebox, smoky-coaly venison. Ahh, the good old days… Now, buy me another round and I’ll tell you about the Moa that had bloody gold nuggets in the gizzard when when we cooked it…

4 Likes

Somehow I think kiwikieth means that they used a ‘Jigger’ and yes indeed it would not be the first time that a jigger was used to troll the railway line to spot light and shoot. Somewhere I have a photo of a hunting party in Central Otago after they had been shooting from the jigger and it is piled with rabbits.

1 Like

jigger wasn’t that the name of that girl from the pub you are telling us about???

Nope but her old man owned racehorses at one stage. His last name began with a B and was the same name as a Shakespearean character.