A treasure trove - my best detecting spot!

Yes maybe it was a long time ago in the early 90s I remember thinking at the time it had been a nice house

Well the house I spent much of my childhood in was in Thomas Street - the stairs leading up to the second story could be accessed from the dining room OR a large, huge sitting room which had wood panelling and my grandparents had THREE lounge suites in it plus extras. The stairway went up a tunnel between the fireplaces in the dining room and the sitting room and you climber up the stairs under a concrete arch between the chimneys.

Was it for sale when you went there and went up the stairs - our family sold it about 1994. It also had a flag pole and large trees to the left of the driveway.

Yep that’s the one for sure i remember it having very nice wallpaper in the house above the picture hanging strip that ran around the lounge I can’t remember why we went there I was only young it must have been someone my parents knew as I was brought up in warrington

The large sitting room had a picture rail but I cannot recall nice wallpaper above it…I will look and see if I can find a photo and add it here if I can find one.

this is the back yard taken on the last day I was ever there - cleaning up for the new owners. The new owners or the ones after them put a toilet upstairs and removed both downstairs bedrooms to make the entire inside one humongous open plan arrangement and spoilt the place…bloody weirdos!

Both the garden and the grass yielded heaps of coins and the garden when it was dug also yielded two beautiful Maori Adzes and just to the left of the photo two amazing greenstone ones were found as well.

The shed with the two windows was the servants quarters!

Aw thats my wee fella in the picture!

2 Likes

It’s probably all changed now but it was a great old place when I saw it the kind of place a would love to detect you were lucky!!!

It was sure good while it lasted! I did get my very best British coins here plus of course the Maori artifacts though they were not detected as they were stone plus of course Snider shells and projectiles.

I checked what photos I had and there were no picture rails on the walls that I have photos of and maybe on one wall only there might have been but the wallpaper was a plain cream colour and with a single narrow band of decoration around the top so it may have been one of the two other similar homes in Waikouaiti that you visited.

Yea sounds like it I remember the strip around the top as I say it was some time ago and I was young I think the people may have just brought the place