A morning in the life of a detectorist

Hmmmm now where was that beach. Hell Chris I’m having trouble recalling that. Must be my age :grin:

1 Like

Damm hoped you would be old enough to fall for it this time. Oh well ask again in a month or two. :slight_smile:

1 Like

23ct is quite unusual. Cool find. The pendant is pretty cool too.

MK

Great finds there MB love the pendant and 23k ring that’s so sweet keep up the good work.

1 Like

What a great haul. Jeez have yet to get my first after 2yrs!! One day, no beaches where l am which doesn’t help.!

**Gotcha

It may not be gold or even pretty - but this Ring is number 400 that I have found. (No 54 this year).
Bugger , now I have to reset my goals.
Didn’t find one ring in May but had a good time recently crashing bush like a Mad Hatter chasing Legends & Lies. Had a Ball!!

HH**

5 Likes

Looks good - you will be able to start a second hand jewellery shop soon. I began detecting in 1981 and your ring score far outweighs mine by heaps…great going.

2 Likes

After how many year’s MB?

Exactly 4 years Cosmo, but I only managed to 12 rings in the first 6 months.

Nice, I think I would find more if didn’t cherry pick so much but with only an hour or so I don’t like to dig to many medium/low tones. On days when I have more time I do. It’s been 7 months since I first started I have found 17 rings 12 silver and 5 junkers, can’t wait for my first golddie. Happy hunting and congratulations on ring 400.

Yeap you doing well CC. I started with a musketeer and from June till October only got 3 rings. Then I changed to a CTX and managed another 9 by Xmas. Then it was all on. Had a Garrett back in the 80’s and found a couple of ring for people and a bit of gold in Aussie but hung it up for 30 odd years and went to have a play with it again, but it had had a heart attack. I also have a Excalibur 11 which I mainly use in the water. I have the advantage of being able to detect 24/7 if I wish which make a big difference. They are out there Cosmo. Good luck & HH.

1 Like

Well Musketballs, fancy that:, you started detecting with “A Musketeer” , no wonder you keep finding musketballs, it’s in your DNA. As for “had a ball”, well that was one big clue, yep you didn’t find the cache of cannon balls left on the “Cape”. That would have been a good indication that the cannon wasn’t far off. Maybe there was an error in the translation from Dutch to English. The easy bit was, "that after becoming grounded, we had to lighten the ship, so as to unstick ourselves from the treacherous ground. So we could continue our journey around Zeelandia. The paragraph in the dairy relating to the exact location was very faded with time. Perhaps ultra violet light or some other modern decryption method may help with the translation. Will keep working on it. So seeing as your journey south failed to produce. I will share with you, some of my other cannons. If we can locate these you will have to change your name to “Cannon Balls” eh or even "Howitzerthat. Not to sure if they are Boer war era or WW1. They were however buried at the outbreak of either WW1 or WW2. Im guessing WW1 and that are Boer war captured artillery bought back to NZ. The housing certainly looks WW1 era. The location of the buried cannons has been lost with time. But I reckon they probably buried them, where they stood. The axles would have been rusted up and seized, I reckon, so not tow able. Why take them elsewhere to bury them, when there was ample ground where they stood. Not going to divulge on here, as to their exact location, Sth Island will do. Don’t want a Detector invasion started for some poor Sth Island Local Body.eh. I reckon they won’t be to deep, but how do we dig and sneak them out once we locate them. I’m working on that cunning plan. Cheers “The Hatter”

. .

3 Likes

I just love those “cunning plans” Hatter. I see I have been sprung - must have been giving out to many of those clues. Anyway good to hear from you again and yes I do have a lot of homework to do.

PS Just got out of 2 hours in the tide. = 2 coins & another 2 Musketballs!!!

Gee anyone recognizing that town should be able to find them cannons easy. That assumes the park is still a park.

well I think I know where that is. is that the cannon in question?

“BANG”Bang

1 Like

Hey Musketballs after we have dug up our cannons, One each of course. Great conversation piece for our lounges. Let’s go to the races. Late 1800 Race Course. Farmland now, all we need is a permission. Once again somewhere in the Sth Island.

Cheers “The Hatter”

2 Likes

When it comes to the cannons I am intensely jellyarse! That is sure my forte…my Garrett Deepseeker found two cannons - a seven tonner and a 64 pounder.

The first of those cannons looks like a WWI Krupp gun. During WWI they would not be burying them because in WWI there was a great deal of patriotism and those guns plus machine guns were brought home in droves and every town got one of two - large or small.

In the Second World War some were deemed as usable and were refurbished for use but many were cut up for scrap, a few were buried and a few were left where they were. Naseby stills its gun and some where up the top of the South Island there are two German mortars and some others still exist.

in my own backyard theres a Bofors Barrel! I also have an anti aircraft gun complete and a gun from a Spitfire or Mosquito…these things are about. I am pretty certain that another gun exists buried in the Dunedin Oval. A land owner who was the OC of the local Volunteers near Oamaru collected a few together and they can still be seen on his estate to this day. https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/kuriheka-war-memorial

1 Like

That racecourse suggests several sovereigns to me Hatter. Just so long as its not covered in 6 metre high manuka 6 again. Those guns could be a problem as I don’t want to put my back out lifting the damn things. Might have to get Lammerlaw out of retirement to help.

Cheers

I’m pretty sure there’s a group in dunnerz who specialize in buried cannon and dig up and restore them. As the (fair enough) pasafist movement happened after ww1, I think all war memoriabia was destroyed, so as not to remind… Please correct me if I’m wrong.