A morning in the life of a detectorist

I used to have a book i think the title was Mahuriki? Author Philip? Houghton? Maybe… anyway some guys sail round NZ in the 70s? In a old yacht and along the way have a look for a few things like your cannon.
The book as far as i can recall doesnt mention the cannon but they did spend a bit of time in the area of that burial looking for a bottle with papers claiming New Zeeland that was buried by Tasman.
Could help to narrow down the area, i will try to find the book. I may have donated it to a book sale.

Googled it.
Its got some rather outdated attitudes towards some New Zealanders but a good read otherwise.
houghton1968
LAND FROM THE MASTHEAD; A CIRCUMNAVIGATION OF NEW ZEALAND IN THE WAKE OF CAPTAIN COOK HOUGHTON, PHILIP. 1968

You’ve started a CannonBall Rush now Kiwigold. :wink:

“no sooner was the land sighted than Tasman turned his ships towards it and summoned the officers of the Zeehaen on board his own vessel, when it was resolved to touch at the land as quickly as possible The high ground between Hokitika and Okarito is generally supposed to have been seen by Tasman. By evening enough of the coastline could be discerned to indicate to the voyagers that it was not particularly inviting, and the course was altered more and more to the east to run along the island within easy view of the breakers. The following day Tasman approached Cape Foulwind, and cast anchor for the night, the weather being very calm”

From Tasman to Marsden By Robert McNab

So Trev it was calm enough that evening to come ashore.

Did someone say cannon? I’m a cummin Lisa…Oops did I say that. That had something to do with Rastus I think but on second thoughts I don’t think there were any cannons involved or were there? Only Lisa knows!
For those interested in cannons the book ‘Maori Guns and Maori Gunners’ is a must…compulsory reading. Its actually a real eye opener.

1 Like

Hi Lammerlaw.

Is that book “Tribal Guns & Tribal Gunners” by Trevor Bentley?

Me bad…yes that’s the one…I was too lazy to walk over to the bookshelf to double check and got the name wrong. That would have cost me three Hail Marys and five dollars penance so just as well I am converting to a Seventh Day Inventist.

1 Like

The 7DI will be knocking on your door tomorrow Lammerlaw, just you wait and see. :rofl:

1 Like

I dont mind because I will greet them with a plate and ask if they would like to give a generous donation to my charity ‘The Ancient and Honourable Society of Reformed Detectorholics’

2 Likes

Now that what you call a honker. 20.10 grams of 10 carat.
Makes getting up in the dark and getting wet this morning well worth while.
The lower photo also has a stainless and copper ring from the last couple of days.

HH

7 Likes

Strewth its a beauty. It seems so large that I initially thought it was one of those rings that elderly gentleman with nefarious desires are required to wear for nefarious purposes! May have belonged to an Arab after all theres a saying that Arabs have large fingers because they have large noses.

1 Like

That wicked Lammerlaw or should I say nefarious. (had to get the dictionary out).

A beauty alright. Number 13 gold ring this year which was what I got for the whole of last year so 2018 has been good for me so far,

Cheers

3 Likes

13 you say, well done hope you find many more. That’s sweet as.

That’s awesome mate, 13 gold rings already (!?) I’ve found one so far and a sweet wee gold locket. Keep up the good work! :sunglasses:

What - me wicked? Not a hope - I am as pure as the snow that falls from heaven. I am such a good wee boy that already my seat is booked in the good place for those righteous souls who never sin…besides I cant go to hell because the Devil doesnt like competition.

4 Likes

The 2018 stats so far are:
174 hours detecting
Total rings 42
Gold 13
silver 13
Others 16
% of gold ring 30.95% ( best I’ve ever done)
And 4.14 hours to find each ring. (not so good)

HH

5 Likes

Good going man, that ring might be a small bangle!

Kinda miss how you had a running total of the years treasure at the bottom of each post on the old forum :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks Guys.
Sorry Soilsurfer but I’d rather just put the stats up ever few months. Detecting and researching some landlocked projects at the mo, so not all beach and tide. :wink:

HH

Just got back from a wander around the NI over the last couple of weeks. Managed to get a bit of time detecting. Last week I detected one of my favourite beaches which has been good in the past. 1st day I got 5 rings out In 2.5 hour at low tide and the 2nd day I managed another 4 rings in 1.5 hours. 3rd day Zilch. But I can’t complain getting 9 rings in a total of 4 hours all of which came out within 20 metres or so of each other.
The gold ring on the front left is a 10 carat, the one on the right is white gold 9 carat but the middle one with jade is 23 carat. Never got a 23 carat before so stoked. Must be Asian or Indian.

Cheers
Also a nice jade pendant with stirling silver work on it.

10 Likes

What a great haul. Well done. So where did you say your favorite beach was?

MK