A morning in the life of a detectorist

That’s better. Marvellous what a bit of silvo will do.

4 Likes

Some more top notch finds there buddy well done.

Got dragged away to bike the Alps to Ocean bike trail so been a bit quiet on detecting front but still managed to land a wee bit. Nice Silver ring and three junkers, musketballs and .58 rounds. Lammerlaw the smaller bullet is 10mm. I think that works out at about .38 caliber. ( correct me if i’m wrong. Oops you will) What is that from?

HH

3 Likes

It might be a .38/200 bullet from a revolver, I found a case when I was out in the mud 2 months ago. I would guess a pistol round but not for sure.:grinning:

1 Like

Unless a home load it will be a .38 revolver bullet. Generally military .38 ammunition will have a copper clad round nose so it is either a caste round, possibly a Lyman 358242 or maybe a commercial loading.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. There’s a lot of knowledge out there.

HH

1 Like

Just five minutes into this mornings hunt and out came this 10 carat 7.94 gram beauty. Makes getting out of bed at 4am that much more enjoyable. The other junkers I have got over the last week or so.

HH

7 Likes

Man that is an early start, I’m a shift worker & back in the early years I’d be zig zagging through parks at all hours… don’t think I could hack it now!

1 Like

Left the beach alone yesterday and headed for the hills to a spot that’s been good in the past. Got an 1860 Penny and an Aussie Token . On one side it has “Victoria 1862 In Vino Veritas” with grape patten and on reverse “------- Australia 1862” with a sheave pattern. I see a couple on ebay with the reverse " T Stoke Maker, 100 Collins Street east Melbourne but this is different and I know 1862 was the year Stokes started making tokens so this could be rarer. Will chase up.

Anyway on the way out I got hit with a wayward free falling boulder which had come loose above me. It glanced my knee and broke the carbon fibre CTX lower sharf (lower photo)> So bugger, I’m now house bound for a couple of days but yesterday was still a good day out.

HH

1 Like

I am not going to push the ‘like’ button because that means I like your messed up knee and broken detector shaft! But I do like the token and penny. The penny has nice clear details and that makes it all the better.

That penny is mint cool find

He’ll good prices on eBay for that token better than gold

“In Vino Veritas” = Under the influence of alcohol, a person tells the truth.
Careful how much you drink guys.

Cheers!!!

2 Likes

Good work on penny and token they’re awesome sorry your trip didn’t end well, get well soon.

Thanks Guys. All’s good - should be out swinging tomorrow if I can sneak past the wife. Doing running repairs on shaft while waiting for a replacement.

HH

1 Like

Hi Musket Man. I have a brand new lower shaft here for a CTX3030. When I got mine, I had to get the longer shaft as I am quite tall. So its yours if you want it for gratis.
Cheers Trev

7 Likes

Thanks Trev you an Angel - well maybe not an Angel, but you know what I mean. Have sent a PM to you. I hate being without my favourite detector, I get the shakes, blood pressure goes up, I start sweeting, the wife wants to have me committed, etc, etc.

Looks like Gavin could be getting a sizeable donation for running this forum.

Cheers

2 Likes

Hi Trev

Great to catch up with you on Wednesday face to face. I really enjoyed the morning chatting and will be down again in the not to distance future. Keep those stories coming on the forum as we all love them. Low tide in PM so will be out there in the water covering another area. Hopefully might have something to post.

Cheers
Tony

Yep and great to meet you Tony. Maybe this winter the story teller in me will pop out again. See ya next time you are down. Still doing research on the camp site of Able Janszoon (Tasman) at Cape Foulwind where it is believed he came ashore to bury a crew member, As a precaution he mounted a light Stern Chaser on the boat they rowed ashore with. After the burial rough weather at Cape Foulwind set in. And Able keen to return to his ship, decided he had to lighten his load. So buried the Stern Chaser, hoping to return when the weather abated and retrieve his Chaser. A southerly blast set in, and Able was forced to up anchor and set sail for calmer waters. Never returning to retrieve the Chaser. This was not reported in the Ships Log, as the vessel was under the East India Companys Flag and loss of a cannon was sacrilege. So the incident went unreported. On my mothers side, there are Dutch origins and one of the crew members is a very distant ancestor. And the incident was written up in his dairy, which was passed down from generation to generation. It is still in the familys possession in Holland. And I managed to obtain a copy of the page relating to the incident. I had it translated and it gives several clues as to the cannon whereabouts. It reads " We came ashore by longboat at Rocky Cape (The name Abel gave to Cape Foulwind) Nuee Zeeland to bury Oompa. After we had laid him to rest , we erected a bronze cross on his grave site. Sadly on returning to our ship we had to leave behind our chaser due to bad weather. The Captain instructed us to bury it under a Cain of rocks for later retrieving but bad weather forced up to leave Rocky Cape before we could do this. The grave and cannon are close to each other. and lay at the bottom of a large cliff with a cleft in it. A rock outcrop similar to a badger sits nearby. I am sure Oompa will safeguard our chaser until we can return to get it back when the weather settles down. The Company will take the cost of the cannon from our wages if we do not return with it. And that is many guilders.

Now the problem is in the early nineteenth century rock was taken from Cape Foulwind to build the Buller River breakwaters, And many parts of it were leveled, did the Badger rock survive. So many cliff faces out there have clefts sadly. which makes my task even harder. And does the Badger rock look like a Badger on land or from the sea, and at what angle. I have invested in a Phantom drone to do some aerial reconnaissance this coming spring, and hopefully that will help. This would be the find of the Century and the history books would have to be re written to include this unreported incident. And of course cannon balls would have been included, as what use is a cannon without ammo. Suppose I could call myself “Cannon Balls” after that find. Will keep ya’s all posted.

“The Hatter”

6 Likes

Just a .58, .38 and musketball this afternoon plus the usual coins. Still it was quite nice out in the tide even if a cool wind.

Hell Hatter that’s some story. Haven’t managed a cannonball yet but that would be something else especially if it changed the history books. You just never know what’s going to turn up next.
Will be in touch

Cheers and keep those stories coming.