A morning in the life of a detectorist

Thanks.
Not sure if many people know that Europes coast lines are still filled with antipersonnel mines (s-mines). Many german soldiers died clearing them up. However there are still thousands there, and they wash up all the time.

Pretty scary.

12.20am just snuck home for a coffee. two in the bag so far this evening, 1 x s/silver, 1 x junker
Now have a two hour drive to the next beach.
Yeap GP all s/silver except for one junker in previous photo.

2 Likes

Fantastic! That flat one is amazing - paua, opal?

So with two hours drive there, 7 hours detecting and two hours driving home I manage 2 rings, one 10 carat and one 9 carat. Trouble is I got both in less than 15 minutes apart. If I can find a shore fired way to cut out the excess time = 6.75 hrs them I could have been home in bed hours ago instead of 2pm in afternoon.

HH

5 Likes

Well done nice finds. Man it would be worth it for me with just one gold ring but I’ve spent hundreds of hours out yet to find my first. Yes im jealous.:nauseated_face:

It’s a paua ring GP.

CosmoCoinage - you make me feel guilty now. I go and toss them back tonight I promise.
Seriously though If you need any help PM me.
Perhaps Gavin could open an Agony Uncle or Aunt thread on here.

HH

2 Likes

Welldone, you put in a decent detect, and it payed off.

@CosmoCoinage
A lot of detecting is research - head to your local library.
Thoroughly read your detector manual.
Watch a few tips videos on youtube.
Search the old site for tips also
http://www.paydirt.co.nz/forums/yaf_topics17_Tips--n--Tricks.aspx

1 Like

Don’t feel guilty it will happen when it happens lol. Hit some mud flats tonight by an old yacht club hit every small target in the mid to high range got a lot of trash, a few pennies (1938 to 1943) and halfs, pistol casing, watch (modern s steel ) and fancy button. There’s a lot to cover at least some targets there.:grinning:

1 Like

Boom Boom. A nice couple of hours at the office. 1 x 18 caret 2.59 gms. 1 x 9 caret 15.14 gms, white gold with a black diamond (centre) for which I found the owner. Now that’s what you call a ring, That’s the happy feller in bottom photo and one junker ring.

![20180131_183432|300x500]

PS Cosmocoinage - Are you sitting down. The couple of gold rings I got last week on my early shift, well I didn’t have the heart to tell you then that I managed another gold ring that day on my late shift. Only got three gold in one day once before.

HH

7 Likes

3 rings, That’s not a bad hourly rate :muscle:

1 Like

That Eagle ring is awesome.:+1: nice work

1 Like

That’s some mighty fine bling what a great hunt.

1 Like

Lammerlaw. Did you lose another damn tooth?

3 Likes

Its like money - you got to have it to lose it - you see my family regularly on the kids TV programme ‘Gummy Bares’ or is that Gummy Bears.

2 Likes

I’m thinking that maybe 100 years ago when you did have teeth could it have fallen out then while you were playing on the beach?

Nope because out in the mountains on two hunting trips I got abcesses and had to put up with Kempai Tai type torture for a few days until I got back to civilisation and got the offending fang out on each occasion. A couple of years later I went to the tooth fairy and he said that I had two fillings and "Thats going to cost you - forty dollars for two fillings"
Back then that was a fortune so I said “I could get them all out for that.” and he said that was correct - so thats exactly what I did. Booked in a week later and got them all out.
Best thing I ever did - think of it - no tooth ache, no dentist bills, no worries about future dental care…its a no brainer
My dream in life was to share intimate moments with a female with no teeth but never been that lucky!

1 Like

Tooth Fairy really turns on yah later on!
I got hit for $2000 for one tooth. And she said she would be back again in 10 years!!

My good advice to all…by pass the drill and go for the pliers…get them out and save money! I kid you not. Who needs teeth? I don’t! Voice of experience.
Dentists are merely extortionists - $2000 for one fang is day light robbery.

1 Like

nothing like a good gumming.

You guys would no…when someone is cremated what happens to …let’s just say wedding ring just curious without being sick