A morning in the life of a detectorist

Everything going to plan I should get my nox800 next month and can start beach hunting properly as the ace 300 doesn’t cut the mustard on wet sand, looking forward to first gold ring. HH&GL.

1 Like

Shot on getting the plat it’s on my bucket list

1 Like

Thanks Chris
Yeap they are hard to come by. That is only the third one I’ve managed to get out of 440 rings found, so for me they are only 1 in every 146 rings. Scarce as you could probably say. Good luck out there.
Cheers

1 Like

2am start this morning but it was worth it. Total of 7 rings - 2 x junkers, 3 x Stirling and 2 Gold x 9 carat. (front) Left front is white gold. Plus $34.00 in $1 & $2. All in all a good morning. Now I’m off to bed for a couple of hours kip.

Cheers

6 Likes

Hammering those rings MB nice job.

1 Like

Wow, bet youre stoked!

1 Like

Awesome finds - that was worth getting up for!!!

1 Like

Perhaps Lord of the Rings is a better monika than Musketballs.

Geez kiwigold, you’re making my head swell. No it is really down to hours and research. You have your good and bad. Last night I started detecting at 9pm (after a near hours drive) and finished swinging about 2.30am. Managed one sterling ring and a handful of coins. 9am this morning spend 2.5 hours out in the tide and got nothing ( i dug a couple of beer caps to stop me going insane) Call it bloody minded.
Anyway all charged up and out for another session tonight.

Cheers

1 Like

On a roll again. Gathered this lot in last 36 hours. Just the one 9 ct. Owner coming to get it later today.

HH

5 Likes

Great finds - LOVE the ring. I think the cartridge projectile will be WWI era or slightly prior to 215 grain .303 MkI through Mk VI most likely MkVI.

1 Like

And 3 weeks ago you told me to leave some for the rest of us.:grinning:

1 Like

Yeap you’re right CC. The trouble is that they just seem to be attracted to my coils. So I have left a couple of rings with your name attached attached just for you when you are passing. Can’t be fairer that that can we. :slightly_smiling_face:
At the moment I’m sleeping at high tide and swing at low tide instead of day and night, but that will change in a hurry when the missus get back next week.

Anyway good luck out there.

1 Like

So about 10pm last night I spot two ladies on there knees with torches digging in the sand ( I did wonder) but i worked out they had lost something. Turns out they had lost 4 rings and had managed to find 3 in the last couple of hours. Took less than 30 seconds to locate the last ring which by this stage was down about 150mm. Got two nice big hugs for my troubles and all was good in the world again.

Now for the puzzle of the day. About 3 hours later came across this ring. Was pretty black until I polished it so I think it’s been there awhile. Goggled it and there is mention of 935 gold but unusual.
Any suggestions welcome.

2 Likes

Mmmmmm Hugs from strange ladies on the beach, while the Mrs is away. Better hope when she gets back she doesn’t find out, or you will become just plain Musket with no Balls.

1 Like

Might be silver as I don’t think gold goes black. One step up from 925. An ID on the makers mark would help.

MK

1 Like

Maybe Russian (I’ve had a couple of weird purities from them) or possibly Mexican?

1 Like

Thanks Chris

Had a couple of 9 carat on the dark side that turned out to OK after a polish and then could read the marks. I thnk it depends on what other base metal is in them. Might get this one tested.

Cheers.

1 Like

No sign of gold but nailed 7 sterling rings and one junker over the last few days. Love the key ring, bottle opener jandal.
HH

7 Likes

Gosh I think I’m lucky to get one ring these days. Well done.

MK

2 Likes